Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP xw6400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello - HP xw6400 won't boot all of a sudden and I have run all the tests I can find on the internet using the microsoft media creation tool ISO on a flash drive - except some of them I can't run because it is looking for an administrator's password that i don't remember setting but i must have because none of my Microsoft passwords work and my PIN does not work either. I have taken the backup cloned SSD and made that the boot drive and it does not boot to windows either - same behaviour as the main boot drive? I installed the backup cloned SSD in my other windows 10 desktop and did a virus scan and a ChkDsk and both came up clean. Can i download the HP hardware diagnostic software and run it from a flash drive and if the answer is yes how do I run those tests from a flash drive on a non-booting computer?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@codger65 

You have to be able to boot from something to run diags -- so if you can't even boot from a USB stick, then you are stuck.

Here is a link to an HP page with several downloadable options:  https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_desmtjyr6n

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Use the link @WAWood posted and download "HP UEFI Diags' (should be file sp111018.exe) when installing the diags, it'll ask you where you want it - HDD or USB. Choose USB (make sure you have a USB stick plugged in and don't mind it being formatted)

The Diags will then install to the USB. You can make this USB on ANY working computer.

Put the diags stick in the HP PC and when you turn it on, KEEP tapping F2.

F2 will initiate the diags being loaded. It'll always check 1st if there's a 'newer' version on a USB before loading them from HDD/UEFI.

Just make sure you keep tapping F2 and NOT F9, as you don't want to boot off the stick in the traditional sense. It won't work if you select it from the F9 boot menu. Has to be F2 from 1st turn on.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.