Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6210y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion p6210y will not start. I press power on button, cpu and system fans run for 5 to ten seconds, then shut down. PSU stays on.  I have change the PSU, and CPU, but problem remains. Could mother board be fried?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@knightc42 

If the motherboard was fried, it would not power on at all.

What did you do regarding thermal paste when you replaced the CPU.  Asking because folks not experienced in doing this tend to slather on LOTS of paste -- and that is the opposite of what you need to do.  Too much paste prevents the heat from the CPU from flowing into the HSF, basically acting as an insulator -- and when that happens, the CPU very quicly overheats and shuts down the PC -- which sounds like what is happening to you.

You want only a very thin layer of paste -- best to mostly scrape it off with a flat smooth piece of plastic, like a credit card, and leave only a very thin layer.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

New CPU came with a small tube/syringe of heat sink paste. Used about half of it. Don't think it was overly thick, but maybe I'll pop the CPU fan, and wipe it down thinner. Thanks for the answer.

HP Recommended

Popped the CPU fan/heat sink. Thermal paste no overly thick, but wiped a little bit off. Still have same symptoms.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@knightc42 

The general rule of thumb is to put a DROP on the center of the CPU and then spread that with smooth plastic so that a very thin film coats the CPU.  Any more will prevent heat transfer by acting like an insulator.

IF you do this and it still does not work, you will need to take it into a computer repair facility and have them look at it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@knightc42,

What you have is a circa 2009 motherboard called the "Violet". It was infamous for a boot problem., forget which, but here is the archive article.  It was a SATA controller chip.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

If it is a SATA controler chip, could I change SATA ports?  Also I think maybe my bios has been wiped. How do I reload it? I've really appreciated all of your feedback. Have a great week.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.