Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knightc42
Level 1
9 5 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP p6210y will not start. Replaced PSU and CPU. System and CPU fans run for 5 to 10 seconds then shu

HP Recommended
Pavilion p6210y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion p6210y will not start. I press power on button, cpu and system fans run for 5 to ten seconds, then shut down. PSU stays on.  I have change the PSU, and CPU, but problem remains. Could mother board be fried?

6 REPLIES 6
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,960 7,271
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@knightc42 

If the motherboard was fried, it would not power on at all.

What did you do regarding thermal paste when you replaced the CPU.  Asking because folks not experienced in doing this tend to slather on LOTS of paste -- and that is the opposite of what you need to do.  Too much paste prevents the heat from the CPU from flowing into the HSF, basically acting as an insulator -- and when that happens, the CPU very quicly overheats and shuts down the PC -- which sounds like what is happening to you.

You want only a very thin layer of paste -- best to mostly scrape it off with a flat smooth piece of plastic, like a credit card, and leave only a very thin layer.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
knightc42
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New CPU came with a small tube/syringe of heat sink paste. Used about half of it. Don't think it was overly thick, but maybe I'll pop the CPU fan, and wipe it down thinner. Thanks for the answer.

0 Kudos
knightc42
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Popped the CPU fan/heat sink. Thermal paste no overly thick, but wiped a little bit off. Still have same symptoms.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,960 7,271
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@knightc42 

The general rule of thumb is to put a DROP on the center of the CPU and then spread that with smooth plastic so that a very thin film coats the CPU.  Any more will prevent heat transfer by acting like an insulator.

IF you do this and it still does not work, you will need to take it into a computer repair facility and have them look at it.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@knightc42,

What you have is a circa 2009 motherboard called the "Violet". It was infamous for a boot problem., forget which, but here is the archive article.  It was a SATA controller chip.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
knightc42
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it is a SATA controler chip, could I change SATA ports?  Also I think maybe my bios has been wiped. How do I reload it? I've really appreciated all of your feedback. Have a great week.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation