Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP570P054NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, and I apologise in advance if I'm at all unclear or imprecise in describing my issue.

I am trying to install Windows 10 onto a new SSD ( the previous HD died),  but the system does not recognise the new drive at all. I am attempting to install Windows 10 from a USB boot drive and the list of available hard drives is empty. Am unsure if the SSD (a 500GB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2) is incompatible with my computer (HP570p054NA), or if there is something I need to do for it to recognise the drive. I guess it's possible I've bought an incompatible drive, or that I simply don't know how to install it.

I would be very grateful for any pointers on how a layperson such as myself might proceed.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Parcifel 

I think WAWood is probably not available at the moment.

The M.2 slot on that LUBIN motherboard uses only PCIe (NVMe) drives, not M.2 Sata.

An M.2 Sata drive has both B and M keyed notches, but it still only works as Sata.

That's why its not recognized.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Parcifel 

When you reboot, press F9 to see the Boot Devices menu.  If the USB stick is not shown, then the BIOS is not seeing it.

In that case, go into the BIOS and check if Secure Boot is enabled.  IF it is, Disable it and reboot.  You should then see the USB stick in the Boot Devices menu.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Thanks so much for your swift response.

Reading my post over I can see I really haven't been as clear as I hoped to be.

When I say that the drive is not recognised I am referring to the new SSD , not the USB boot drive. Upon being turned on my computer automatically reads from the USB boot drive and begins the Windows 10 installation process. However, when it asks me to choose which hard drive I wish to install WIndows 10 to, the list is blank. 

The only advice I can seem to find online with regards to getting a computer to acknowledge the presence of a new hard drive refers to computers that already have windows installed. 

HP Recommended

Just to be clear, there is no other hard drive in the computer

HP Recommended

@Parcifel 

I think WAWood is probably not available at the moment.

The M.2 slot on that LUBIN motherboard uses only PCIe (NVMe) drives, not M.2 Sata.

An M.2 Sata drive has both B and M keyed notches, but it still only works as Sata.

That's why its not recognized.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. This has confirmed what I was starting to suspect...that I need to do more thorough research before undertaking projects I have no expertise in.

luckily it’s not too late to exchange the drive.

Thanks again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.