Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 21-h010 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know how to obtain a replacement hard drive and recovery disk for my out of warranty computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can buy any brand 3.5" 7,200 RPM hard drive.

HP no longer sells recovery media for your PC and the recovery media would have been for Windows 8.1, not W10.

You can buy W8.1 recovery media for your PC from this vendor:

HP/Hewlett Packard and Compaq Recovery CDs brought to you by Computer Surgeons - Archives for end of...

You can reinstall W10 for free on a new hard drive by creating a bootable W10 installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media.

Windows will load files.

You will be asked to enter what version of W10 you want to install.  Select W10 Home.

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and activate.

You can install any drivers you may need from the support page.

HP Pavilion 21-h010 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | H...

Below is the link to the service guide for replacing the hard drive...

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can buy any brand 3.5" 7,200 RPM hard drive.

HP no longer sells recovery media for your PC and the recovery media would have been for Windows 8.1, not W10.

You can buy W8.1 recovery media for your PC from this vendor:

HP/Hewlett Packard and Compaq Recovery CDs brought to you by Computer Surgeons - Archives for end of...

You can reinstall W10 for free on a new hard drive by creating a bootable W10 installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media.

Windows will load files.

You will be asked to enter what version of W10 you want to install.  Select W10 Home.

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and activate.

You can install any drivers you may need from the support page.

HP Pavilion 21-h010 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | H...

Below is the link to the service guide for replacing the hard drive...

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

HP Recommended

I installed a new hard drive, 4 TB, and using the recovery disks, eventually was able to complete the 1st part of the process. When told to remove all media, It began the process of installing the operating system. Before it could complete, it showed a message indicating "imminent hard drive failure". This is the same message that caused me to replace the hard drive!!

I ran the diagnostic test on the hard drive and was given this message:

Failure ID : RGE32W-95N75L-RXN56J-608J03

Product ID : F3031AAR#ABA

What should I do next? Is the 4 TB an issue?

Incidentally, I've been advised that this is a refurbished computer, not known to me when I bought it.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The checksum failed, so there was no report generated.

ailure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
RGE32W-95N75L-RXN56J-608J03Failed 1/1/01    

It's possible that a 4 TB drive is too much for the PC. 

Normally 2 TB is the max.

When you installed W10, did you make sure you booted the installer from the EFI USB flash drive and not the Legacy one?

A 4 TB drive requires the GPT partition table in order to function as a boot drive, and the only way you can install Windows in GPT is to boot from one of the EFI boot sources.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.