Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One 24-f0014na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the Hard Disk - (3F)) error. Boot device not found, please install an operating system in your hard hard drive

I have performed all of the checks and everything returns as healthy.

I can access the hard drive via the command prompt and everything looks OK here too and I can see windows directories on the C drive.

I assume that the Master Boot record has been corrupted (we had a power failure), but I have run the recommend DOS commands as follows:

bootrec /scanos - Successful, but no Windows installations identified

bootrec /FixMbr - operation completes successfully

bootrec /FixBoot - Access is denied

Are there any other fixes I can try, or proven utilities I can buy?

Failing that are there any Windows repair tools.

Failing all of that I will be rebuilding the machine BUT I cannot find my MS Office software Key to reinstall, is there any way of finding this from the command prompt?

Thank you all in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It seems that you have done the first steps already. But to be safe, According to the spec page the PC listed has a

16 GB PCIe NVMe 3D Xpoint M.2 Solid State drive which is where the bootloader for Windows would be.  Did that drive show up when doing the Diagnostics scan?

To run the Diagnostics routine, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.  There should be a place for the M2 drive and for the 1TB drive.  If the M2 drive is missing that is the problem, but do not proceed with the next steps.  Come back for further help.  If the M2 drive is part of the Diagnostics and checks OK, then proceed.

On the link I will provide it starts with needing a Windows install disk.

Here is where to get that.

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB. Use this new media to run the "Repair your Computer"

If it comes to it, you can also install Windows 10.  But do not do that just yet.  Start here with the new media disk.

https://www.ubackup.com/articles/repair-windows-bootloader.html

If these methods do not fix the issue, then do not install Windows on the C drive, as that will wipe out the info you need. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the diagnostics for storage and can see two hard drives:

• HDD/SSD 1/2 : 1.81TB ATA drive
  • HDD/SSD 2/2: 13.4G  NVM3 drive

No faults were shown when I ran the HDD diagnostics.

I assume that I should continue to the "Repair your Computer" with the windows media?

Regards

Paul

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the next step.  All of the bootloader files should be on the M2 drive - HDD/SSD 2/2: 13.4G NVM3 drive.  Do not do anything to the HDD/SSD 1/2 : 1.81TB ATA drive.  You could possibly get the PC to bootup with the large drive if the M2 drive - HDD/SSD 2/2: 13.4G NVM3 drive does not co-operate but that might be more involved.  If the install media cannot fix this using the "Repair this PC", then it will be more interesting.

From what I can discern that drive (3D Xpoint 16GB M.2 drive) is used for what is called Optane Memory.  I do not know how to fix the PC other than to remove the 3D Xpoint 16GB M.2 drive and then try to get Windows to fix the boot problem with that drive missing.  That would keep everything but slow things down a bit.

I will give @Paul_Tikkanen  a heads up to see if he can help.  This is beyond my skill level, as I have not dealt with Optane Memory.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @TVR_Chimaera 

Unfortunately, I would not be able to be of much assistance.

First of all, you just can't remove the Intel Optane memory module.

There is a specific procedure to disable or remove the Intel Optane memory.  See the last two sections of the article at the link below.

Since you can't go into Windows and disable the Optane memory in the IRST software, you would get the same 3F0 error if you simply removed the Optane memory.

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

So, I'm afraid you will probably have to resort to using the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive to factory reset the PC.

You will lose all data on the hard drive using this method.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive and another PC running W7 64 bit or newer to create the recovery media.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

The Office product key...even if you could use a command to find it, the new versions of Office (I think 2013 and later) when you run the command to find it, you only get the last 5 characters of the product key.

These articles may be of help to you.

3 Ways to Recover or Find Office 2016 Product Key after Installation (isunshare.com)

Using product keys with Office (microsoft.com)

Have you tried booting the PC into safe mode?

Maybe you will be able to fix the problem from within Windows in safe mode including disabling the Optane memory using the IRST software.

See this video for the ways you can get into safe mode when Windows will not start.

How to Enter Windows 10 Safe Mode When Windows Cannot Boot Normally - YouTube

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.