Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pro 3420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  The F10 Michrophone key does not work. Is there a utility I can run or a service I should check?  I realize that 64 bit W10 might not have been test on this machine.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  PeterD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PeterD55 

Yeah, the clean install IS the problem -- as that only installs GENERIC drivers that are provided by MS, and while those often work quite well, they do not work as well as the HP drivers, nor to they include the full functionality of the HP drivers.

It is better, when you have Win7, to do an in-place Upgrade, as that retains some of the original drivers when it can't find a replacement from MS.

Since you probably did NOT make an image backup of Win7 before you did the replacement, you have nothing to restore FROM -- so there is no way to get the HP Win7 back.

Here's the HP page with drivers for your model PC:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-3420-all-in-one-pc/5154815

You MIGHT be able to use the Win8 drivers, and also might be able to use the Win7 drivers in Compatibility mode.  Those are worth a try.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PeterD55 

Presuming that Win10 is now running on the PC (because you mentioned Win10), HOW did it get there?

Did you do an in-place Upgrade, which would have retained many of the original HP Win7 drivers?

Or did you do a clean-install, which would have replaced the HP Win7 drivers with generic MS Win10 drivers?

HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,  Thanks for helping me outon this.  W10 was a clean official install so I assume that W10 drivers were installed.  Is that the problem?  Do I somehow need to get some specific W7 drivers?

Please advise.  Much appreciated.

PeterD

HP Recommended

@PeterD55 

Yeah, the clean install IS the problem -- as that only installs GENERIC drivers that are provided by MS, and while those often work quite well, they do not work as well as the HP drivers, nor to they include the full functionality of the HP drivers.

It is better, when you have Win7, to do an in-place Upgrade, as that retains some of the original drivers when it can't find a replacement from MS.

Since you probably did NOT make an image backup of Win7 before you did the replacement, you have nothing to restore FROM -- so there is no way to get the HP Win7 back.

Here's the HP page with drivers for your model PC:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-3420-all-in-one-pc/5154815

You MIGHT be able to use the Win8 drivers, and also might be able to use the Win7 drivers in Compatibility mode.  Those are worth a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.