Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC 875-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try the usual F-Keys at startup, the startup is delayed, but no bios or other messages.  When I try via advanced startup, there is just a black screen that never goes away.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mrmaid -- do you have a good reason to upgrade the BIOS? I have seen too many posts on this forum where a failed BIOS update has "bricked" the computer. My recommendation is to NOT try to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

I am not trying to upgrade the bios, just get into it to change settings.

HP Recommended

@mrmaid -- if you disconnect the data/power cables from the disk-drive, and power-on the computer, does it show "boot failed", and "press <blah> to enter BIOS SETUP" ?

HP Recommended

No messages, just a black screen.

HP Recommended

@mrmaid -- no messages ... black screen

Ouch!

Possibilities:

1. failing power-supply -- not supplying all of the various voltages to the various components;
  2. failing motherboard;
  3. failing processor;

All are "major" problems. It is not easy to find a replacement motherboard, and it can be expensive to find a processor that is compatible with the motherboard. Temporarily connecting an alternate power-supply is not too difficult.

Disconnect the cables from disk-drive, CD/DVD drive, Ethernet cable, speakers, USB printer, USB mouse, leaving only keyboard & monitor attached. Then, try power-on. Anything?

HP Recommended

Power supply and processor work fine on another motherboard.

With everything disconnected but mouse and keybord, the screen just stays black. No messages and no beeps.

HP Recommended

@mrmaid - do you have a valid justification to update the BIOS? I have seen an excessive number of posts on this gathering where a bombed BIOS update has "bricked" the PC. My proposal is to make an effort not to refresh the BIOS.

HP Recommended

I am not trying to update the bios, just get into the bios to change some settings.

HP Recommended

@mrmaid -- With everything disconnected but mouse and keyboard, the screen just stays black. No messages and no beeps.

If the RAM works in some other system, then the remaining "culprit" is the motherboard. Sigh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.