Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6978
Other

I have Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 and now my printer will not printer from desktop.  There are no updates.  Printer is only 2 yrs. old!  What can I do?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What many users do not know is the print drivers for a Mac come from the Mac software and not the printer manufacturer.  When upgrading to a new OS, many times the drivers are not ready when the new OS is released, so the printer may not work.  It is best operating procedure to wait until the drivers catch up with the OS before updating.

About the only thing you can do is down grade back to the OS that was working for everything.  Then wait until all is  ready, before upgrading again.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I'm also having the same issue with my printer HP1510 which now does not work because of the drivers. I was under the impression that the problem was the security licence which is now out of date for the driver. I've read elsewhere that it is up to the printer manufacture i.e. HP to supply the driver to Apple which then updates its Operating System Big Sur including the new driver and then the printer works again. I solved the problem by buying a new Canon printer. The issue has been going on since Big Sur came in to being which is some time ago now.  I'm not aware of how you can downgrade the OS and I would be very reluctant to do that if you could.

HP Recommended

I can see " I would be very reluctant to do that" when involving installing the older Mac OS.  I am not a Mac user nor do I know that much about them, but the older OS's used to be available to download.  I do not know the dates for any of the Mac OS releases.

I do not like that you had to buy a new printer, either.  The new printers would definitely need to support the newer versions of Mas OS's.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The problem is that the EasyStart software that you have to download from HP now only works with printers that have a wifi option and my printer Hp1510 is USB only. HP does not seem to be catering for its old printers now although mine is only 5 years old. It was a perfectly good reliable printer before Big Sur. If you have a look on the internet this seems to be a wide spread issue which HP should have sorted by now unless they don't want to for some reason. I won't be buying HPO again if this is how they operate.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.