Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion desktop 500 series 500-242ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I first had an intermittent problem with my cursor/pc freezing. This was followed by a BSOD STOP CODE: VIDEO TDR FAILURE.  What failed atikmpag.sys.

• I tried system restore but this didn't work. I think that the problem is with a failed graphic card/driver. Today, I have got a new BSOD STOP CODE CRITICAL SYSTEM DIED. My first question is how do I save my personal data files 138 GB copied from my hard drive to an external drive. I'd like to do this before fixing the other issue. How do I best do this?

Many thanks Trevo1

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you have external drive, USB3 for example, then boot into safe mode and copy the files over. Use robocopy

https://adamtheautomator.com/robocopy/

Safe mode might keep the graphics board from faulting and interrupting the copy procedure.

robocopy has option to restart the copy after a network glitch and pick up where it left off.

I have only used it over a network and with the /MIR command and there are a lot of options.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi

if this your computer

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647/model/6778059/doc...

taking the usual precautions
open the computer, and remove the graphics card
connect the screen directly to the motherboard
This will fix the graphics card problem, if that is what is preventing you from using the computer.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have a large external drive connected with a USB 2.0 connection. Would this do to transfer the files from the hard drive from safe mode? I don't see how I can use the copying software that you suggest as I cannot access the internet due to the BSOD 

HP Recommended

have a large external drive connected with a USB 2.0 connection. Would this do to transfer the files from the hard drive from safe mode? I don't see how I can use the copying software that you suggest as I cannot access the internet due to the BSOD 

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

Hi

if this your computer

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647/model/6778059/doc...

taking the usual precautions
open the computer, and remove the graphics card
connect the screen directly to the motherboard
This will fix the graphics card problem, if that is what is preventing you from using the computer.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.