Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook G3
Ubuntu LTS

Hello, I have an HP ProBook 440 G3 with I5-6200U (Skylake)

I have installed several Linux distributions and they all have a lot of boot and graphics problems.

I've seen on forums that people have fixed it with a BIOS update and apparently I have one available.

could be the solution? I want to be sure, as I have seen, that there is some danger in doing this process.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ELYISUS2332 -- for me, it is VERY RARE for any "BIOS update" to address any issue. I think that you are wise to AVOID any attempt at a BIOS Update.  There are many posts on this forum about "failed BIOS update turned my computer into a brick".

Have you tried installing some "Virtual PC" software, into the original HP-loaded copy of Windows, and running Linux "inside" a Virtual Machine?

Have you drilled-down on the HP Support web-site, to see if HP has posted device-drivers for some variant of Linux?

HP Recommended

Oh I think I won't

Another reason I wanted to update my BIOS is because it has a lot of visual errors (such as misplaced text over the HP logo or this logo just disappears out of nowhere and the interface works quite slow)

Regarding the use of Linux in a virtual machine, I do not think it is very practical for me, since I use Linux as a system of daily use.

Regarding the drivers, HP has not provided any driver support for my device on linux, Intel does have support for Skylake CPUs, and other people with the same components but of a different brand have not presented these problems

HP Recommended

@ELYISUS2332 --  other people with the same components but of a different brand have not presented these problems

I wonder if they will respond to you, if you asked them "how did you make it work?".

I do not think it is very practical for me, since I use Linux as a system of daily use.

Decades ago, on an IBM mainframe computer that had a Virtual Machine supervisor, one "guest" operating system actually ran faster inside a VM than it did when running on the "bare" mainframe computer. So, I doubt that you will experience any performance "hit" from using Virtual Machine technology on a modern motherboard.  Any modern desktop computer is about 20 times faster than a mainframe computer was, a generation ago -- lots of "horsepower".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.