Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion laptop 14-ce3xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a new HP pavilion laptop 14-ce3xxx and wanted to install Ubuntu on it as it came with Windows 10 Home. But when I get an error asking me to disable RST before I can proceed and I can't find an option to disable RST in the BIOS setup. Please help me if you know how to go about this. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@emekazi 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support with issues with Linux is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

Since you are using Ubuntu, go here: https://ubuntuforums.org/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Wow, i wish i had known about this before I bought the laptop.

It's almost useless to me without linux. 

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

I'm still holding out hope for a work around.

HP Recommended

@emekazi 

Then if your intent was solely to use Linux, you should have gone to the Ubuntu forums BEFORE you made the purchase because folks there could have provided you information on laptops that are compatible with Ubuntu.

I've been using Linux distros for well over ten years and the best sites for Linux information are the different distro support forums -- not forums from the OEM manufacturers.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.