Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6-2100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to upgrade to a more current model but I don't want to start from scratch. I'm considering buying a new computer and simply removing the Hardrive from my old one and installing it in the new one. Is that going to improve anything?

I'm pretty happy with my accessories and wouldn't mind using all the ones in the old machine.

Does anyone have any useful ideas about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As long as you have current backups and the current PC is running well, there should not be a problem. 

The fact that you were wanting to swap the current hard drive into the new PC is where the problem occurs. If the backup software being used will allow, then things from the current PC can be moved to the new PC.  There is a software that can actually help with that.  It is called PCMover or EaseUs ToDo.  There may be others.  Do some research.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Firstly - " I'm considering buying a new computer and simply removing the Hardrive from my old one and installing it in the new one. "  that will not turn out with good results.  Most likely it will not even boot, but if it does, there will be problems as the drivers will be all wrong.

Also, Windows 10 will notice that it has been moved to new hardware and will not longer be activated.  That means you will need to purchase a new Windows 10 product key.  Need I go on?

As to upgrading the present hardware, -  there is not enough of the model number in the HP Pavilion p6-2100 number as that is a product line.  If you look at the product line, see here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2100-desktop-pc-series/5187028/product-info

See if you can match up the correct model number.

Since you are in Japan, you might need to look at the spec pages in your region.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The model number is p6-2100. It is described as AMD-Dual core A4-3420 Accelerated processor. It came with Win 7, now running Win 10.

The comments from the Old Man is right on point. My approach would not work.

Now, I wonder, if a replaceable motherboard could be found, the right size, etc. could I do that instead, or would the same objections apply? I suspect the objection still would apply but I need confirmation.

Thanks for talking to me.

HP Recommended

Using a replacement motherboard would cause the same limitations if the plan is to use the old hard drive.

If you have a retail Windows 10 instead of the OEM that is an upgrade from Windows 7, then it might be able to be used on a new motherboard, but it is not as easy as it sounds.  There are software solutions for that type of swap.

It is a troublesome procedure and I have not actually done it, myself.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

From the looks of it, there is no real solution to this quandary other than stick with the current system as long as I can, keep my data backed up and try to clean up as much as possible so that I can keep this unit running as well as possible. Then start looking for another desktop, or laptop to replace the whole thing.

I~ll accept any further suggestions if you have any.

Thank you very much for being so generous with your advice. I appreciate it.

HP Recommended

As long as you have current backups and the current PC is running well, there should not be a problem. 

The fact that you were wanting to swap the current hard drive into the new PC is where the problem occurs. If the backup software being used will allow, then things from the current PC can be moved to the new PC.  There is a software that can actually help with that.  It is called PCMover or EaseUs ToDo.  There may be others.  Do some research.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your enlightened response. I appreciate your help very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.