Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All-in-one-24-b016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I bought this HP Pavilion all-in-one-24-b016 computer in Sep., 2016. A couple days ago, when I turned on the power, it appeared blue screen. Following the instructions on the screen, I did hard drive test, but failed. So I bought a new hard drive, installed, then passed the hard drive test. However I was asked to install the operating system, which I don't have since there was no OS disc given to me when purchasing this computer in 2016.

Per the advise from one expert of this group, I ordered hp Recovery Media Kit on 3/26, and received it (USB + Instruction) on 4/7.

I followed the system recovery instruction included in the package, after I did step 6, Press F9 to show the boot device menu, I could not go further on step 7: step 7 requires to select the disc/USB containing the recovery media from the list of UEFI Boot Sources, however under UEFI Boot Sources, there is no disc/USB to select. 

So I selected "default" as boot device, then clicked "next", the process started, and 2 of 3 tasks under the Factory image recovery preparations were completed, which are Reformatting the Windows partition of the hard drive; and Copying files required to restore the hard drive. After that, a message pop up, says Recovery preparation is complete. According to the instructions sent with the recovery kit, the USB recovery media was removed at this point. Then the recovery process continued. However when it was doing Software Installation, the Recovery Manager window appeared, says the recovery attempt has failed. Clicking Details then saw Error: Incorrect brand name [Unknown]; Expected Brand name from FB [Pavilion].

I tried many times, still cannot get a hp tech representative to help me go further, so post the problem here. Please help me to complete the recovery process, and get my computer work. Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Lingao

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Sir,

I'm glad to hear from you, an hp support agent.

Since I am not a computer person (not very familiar with computer tech), I'm not too clear with your suggestions.

So I copy your words here in [], followed by my comments or questions (in red😞

[I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed.]

Good idea, but how to do is the point. 

[While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time.]

I believe you must have read my post, therefore you have known my original hard drive was damaged and now a new hard drive (of same model) is in the PC. With the original hard drive, when turn on the power, the PC will stuck. So how can I backup my personal files?

[Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/]

I will be very glad to have HP support remotely access my system to help. I will try to contact them tomorrow, and do hope this time the trying will be successful.

[The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

I may try these, but the question is now that I have purchased recovery media kit (USB) from hp, it is supposed to install the Window 10 as well as drivers to my new hard drive so make the PC back to work. Am I correct?

Thank you for your responding.

HP Recommended

@Lingao

Thank you for posting back.

As its a new hard drive you can skip backing up data information, however, you can still try downloading the recovery image using HP cloud recovery tool. If recovery media kit is damaged or corrupted then you might have difficulties installing OS using recovery media.

If that fails you can contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

The followings are your suggestions and my comments in the same way as previous:

[As its a new hard drive you can skip backing up data information, however, you can still try downloading the recovery image using HP cloud recovery tool. If recovery media kit is damaged or corrupted then you might have difficulties installing OS using recovery media.]

Yes, I did skip backing up step. By watching the video of using HP cloud recovery tool, I cannot do it because my another live computer's OS is Windows XP, the hard drive of which does not have 20 GB free space, and I don't have a 32 GB USB drive, though I can buy one.

[If that fails you can contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/]

Very logical, however because my second computer's OS is Window XP as mentioned above, it's difficult to follow your instructions and go further to help your engineers diagnose the failure cause. And it has been 12 days since the hp recovery kit was delivered on 4/7, plus 11 days of shipping, I cannot wait any longer, I need to have my HP all-in-one back to work soon. So I think the better way is HP sends a well tested recovery kit replacement (DVD/USB) to me asap, then I will return the current one back to you.

HP Recommended

Hello,

This is Lin again. This morning I followed your last advise, called the number you provided. I was so glad that for the first time these days I can talk to two real service persons! However I spent one hour (including waiting time), telling the two persons the entire story of my hp all-in-one desk top PC, explained them why I need a replacement recovery kit sent to me. The second agent transferred me to "sales department", then no representative any more, but again recording voice, then I was cut off.

Now I have hold the phone for about 40 minutes waiting for a live rep to help me ... Here it comes, I got a real person, I told the story again, asked him to transfer me to a live person, he promised, then I heard recording again, then I was cut off again! Waiting 40 minutes, talking 2 minute, cut off twice!

I have no way out, so come back to you. Can you help get me an engineer accessing my hp PC and guiding me to complete the recovery process?

HP Recommended

Hello @Lingao  @Echo_Lake 
I allow myself to intervene while waiting for the return of the expert @Echo_Lake 

You indicate to have replaced the hard drive, is it exactly the same as at the origin?
In general it seems to me that with the new recovery system, that there are fewer worries, but if the hard drive is different this could be the reason for the failure!
Have you tried to start the installation again (sorry if I didn't follow everything well), sometimes insisting it helps!
Otherwise, I can offer a temporary troubleshooting solution, or not so that the pc works.
I understand that your other computer works with XP, it could work!
So you would have to download the microsoft iso, and create an installation dvd, unless the pc doesn't allow it?
With this DVD, you can reinstall the broken computer!

NB: Xp does not allow you to directly create a DVD from ISO, if you don't have one you will have to download one!

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
  • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
  • A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.

for example :

https://www.howtogeek.com/228886/how-to-create-iso-files-from-discs-on-windows-mac-and-linux/

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello,

To make my answer easier, I copied your question in [], and write my answer in red:

[I allow myself to intervene while waiting for the return of the expert @Echo_Lake]

You are very welcome to give me advise. 

[You indicate to have replaced the hard drive, is it exactly the same as at the origin?
In general it seems to me that with the new recovery system, that there are fewer worries, but if the hard drive is different this could be the reason for the failure!]

Yes, the hard drive replacement is exactly the same as the origin
[Have you tried to start the installation again (sorry if I didn't follow everything well), sometimes insisting it helps!
Otherwise, I can offer a temporary troubleshooting solution, or not so that the pc works.]

Yes, I have tried to start the installation quite a few times. I sent the detailed situation of my last try to Echo_Lake yesterday before I received your letter. I can send to you also in case you did not see.
[I understand that your other computer works with XP, it could work!
So you would have to download the microsoft iso, and create an installation dvd, unless the pc doesn't allow it?
With this DVD, you can reinstall the broken computer!

NB: Xp does not allow you to directly create a DVD from ISO, if you don't have one you will have to download one!

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
  • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
  • A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.

for example :

https://www.howtogeek.com/228886/how-to-create-iso-files-from-discs-on-windows-mac-and-linux/]

Per the first expert involved, I have been doing this, downloaded the Window 10 64 bit ISO file, but was stuck at burning a DVD because the ISO file was near 5.3 GB while my blank DVD is 4.7 only, so I did not go further. Another reason was from what I have experienced in the recovery process (I sent to Echo_Lake yesterday), you would find it does not look like something wrong with the recovery USB I ordered from HP. I will copy the entire letter to Echo_Lake below for you as a reference.

The following is the letter to Echo_Lake:

Thank you so very much for your kind willing to help all the way here.

Maybe more detailed description on the failure would help:

-- What the recovery process had done successfully & In what stage it failed:

*Note: I set the BIOS to the Default settings of the factory before started  the recovery process

Insert USB kit -> power on the PC -> format the hard drive -> Recovery  preparation is complete -> removed the USB kit according to the pop up request -> the Software Installation was started, and tells do not turn off your computer, when complete, your system may automatically restart ... -> the process was doing software installation, and the PC auto restarted a couple times,  the two bars below the notes showed percentage of completion of the process, both bars reached 100% -> the computer auto restarted -> HP logo appears -> the Recovery Manager window appeared, says "The recovery attempt has failed." I saved Log to another USB, then clicked Details button 

-- What it showed in detail when the recovery process failed:

"Error: Incorrect brand name [Unknown]

Expected Brand name from FB [Pavilion]

Next Step: Please check Model Name or Feature Byte'

What is FB?

HP Recommended

Interesting thing I noticed when performing a HP Recovery using a bootable USB made by the HP Cloud Recovery tool.

When I go into BIOS, and enable Legacy Boot, and boot from the USB Drive (The non-UEFI option), the recovery has a higher success rate than with UEFI version.. Not sure if this makes any sense but just wanted to share anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I am not a HP Employee, so take some of my advice with a grain of salt, I can and will help people the best I can however when I'm available.
HP Recommended

I could be wrong, but it seems that the error message indicates a bad identification of the computer.
the kit does not correspond to the computer model, or identification information is missing in the machine!
In the meantime I can only advise you install windows with the microsoft iso!

And indeed sometimes you have to deactivate the boot security, and activate the legacy mode!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.