Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I was watching youtube and then crashed

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Dear Rissa,

It helps the really clever folk here (like Paul T, Echo Lake, and many others), if you tell us:

1. Your computer model, type and processor/CPU (eg: HP Envy, lap top, Icore-5);

plus,

2. Operating System with version (eg: Windows 10 home .... where Windows is the OS, #10 is the version and 'home' is the class.)

Simply makes it easier for folks to give accurate help/advice.

I will assume you have: a laptop or all-in-one/tablet ... running Windows 10, home edition ...

The failure could be one of the following:

A: Power surge or power failure (mains/household power supply) - including onboard (computer) battery;

B: Component failure inside the computer (usually caused by factors  at "A:");

C: Windows (automatic) update/update service;

😧 Malware or Virus - frequently associated with popular file and music sites/the files downloaded there.

For A: and C: ... do the following:

i) Turn-off your computer (at the wall - as well as the system on/off button) and disconnect all attached external devices (usb drives/sticks/keys, game pads, printers, etc.) - leaving only your mouse (if you have one), keyboard (if external), and modem/network-LAN cable (if hard-wire connected to the internet = a cord/physical connection - instead of WiFi).

ii) Turn on the power at the wall, then your computer. Wait and watch the computer - but touch nothing.

The computer should/may start - but not necessarily go all the way to your normal Windows logo/password page - which is good (means the failure relates to Windows update) - so just leave it/press nothing and do not turn-off.

If it does nothing (no lights or noise - after power-on button), it has a component failure (Go to B: and D:) response below).

We assume it has started but seems to be sitting there doing nothing, with the lights blinking a bit or just staying lit - and the fan/cpu (power hum/machine noise) sometimes going a bit faster, or just running steady ...

Windows recovery/update is active/working - doing what it needs to do, in order to fix the files on your computer. This process may take up to four (4) hours. You must leave it alone. Do not touch the keyboard/mouse. Do not power-on or power-off.

When finished the update-recovery. Your Windows log-on screen will appear (as usual, but with the beach/cave background OS version dependent). Now you can touch it .... Log on as usual and you are away/back to You Tube.

If it does not do this, something inside is broken or you have a virus/malware on your computer (see below).

B: or 😧 or solutions above failed.

You need take the computer to where you bought it (if within Warranty/new/fairly new), and ask them to get it fixed. If it is a product or component failure - within warranty - this will be free/cost nothing.

If it is malware,virus or something not covered by warranty, or out-of-warranty ... the dealer/shop will charge you to repair it.

I think it will likely be a Windows update issue, or 'stack-overload" (stressed the system resources/too much remedial content/junk collected during YouTube session).

In that case - solution A: & C: will fix it ... providing (no exceptions) you leave it alone to fix itself and do not turn off the power.

Good luck, be happy and be safe.

Rick.

HP Recommended

@Rissa3 

The Community can not provide any assistance without some details ...

So, please provide the following:
1) detailed model number of the PC
2) OS version the PC is running (i.e., Win7, Win8x, Win10)
3) Age of the PC
4) Detailed description of the problem -- including the EXACT wording of any error message being displayed

Once you provide the needed details, someone will reply.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.