Gigi55
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Inverter to power up Envy all in one

HP Recommended
Envy all in one touch screen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I need to know what type of inverter or other type of hardware is necessary to power up my Envy all in one touch screen computer for long term use. I haven't been able to power up my computer since the Maria (I live in PR where there is NO power because the POWER GRID was entirely destroyed by the hurricane) and I need my computer for work! It will not power up  with my generator nor with a modified sine wave inverter 1500w. Help please. What do I need?

6 REPLIES 6
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,399 2,364
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Gigi55,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you need assistance related to power. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details: 

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Are you referring to the Power Adapter or Power cord for your PC?

When you plug the power cord to the back of the computer? Is there a light next to the port or Is it Off?

Could you please respond to this post with the details so that I can provide you with an accurate steps which should help you resolve this issue?

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Gigi55
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. I have an ENVY 20 ALL IN ONE TOUCH SCREEN DESKTOP. There is no power button on the back. The power button is on top of the screen. I

It is NOT an issue of the computer turning on NORMALLY...that is NOT the problem. The computer turns on as it should, WHEN PLUGGED INTO THE WALL RECEPTACLE  WHEN ELECTRICITY / POWER AVAILABILITY is NORMAL. 

However, I DON'T HAVE NORMAL ELECTRICITY/POWER AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE PUERTO RICO HAS MAJOR POWER OUTAGE DUE TO HURRICANE MARIA...THE POWER GRID WAS DESTROYED. 

Obviously, there is no electricity to power on the computer THE NORMAL WAY. I am runninf a GENERATOR but it will not turn on the computer. I also bought a modified sine wave converter but it does not turn on the computer either.

What I'm thinking is that the computers POWER CORD does not allow the electrical current distributed by my generator or the inverter, to power on the computer for protective/safety reasons. I don't know for sure, i am not an electrician nor do i understand about these power cords or THE POWER ON PROCESS OF COMPUTERS.

SO BOTTOM LINE; What do I need as far as equipment (inverter, batteries, power cords, etc.) that generates the correct elecyrical current to turn on my computer.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Gigi55,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having issues while connecting through generator. Since the computer works fine when connected to the wall outlet, this definitely confirms that it's not a hardware issue.

Maybe use it with a UPS which if it's a good one should smooth out power spikes (if any).

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Gigi55
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
No it does not answer my question. What is a ups? Where can I get one? How does that work? I can't believe that I have been so detailed in my messages and I can't get an answer that I understand. I am NOT a techie...Im just an average user. If I knew what a ups was, I would not be asking these questions nor in need of any assistance.
0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Gigi55,

As I understand you need more information related to UPS - UPS stands for Uninterrupted power system and you can buy one at a local store.However, HP does not recommend one.

You can use it at your own discretion. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Hugh-2
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I realize it has been a while but in case others have similar issues: from what you describe, your generator and/or inverter may simply not be providing the right level of voltage.

A PC has a "power supply" inside that translates house current to lower, DC voltages for the computer to use. That power supply is sensitive *not just* to the waveform of the power coming from the wall plug, but also to voltage.

It probably wants 110 v plus or minus 5 or so. Like, if you are only getting 100 volts or less from your generator, you can definitely power your lights and maybe some other appliances, but the PC may not be happy. Refusing to turn on would be a typical symptom I think.

As for these other topics, you should google UPS - uninterruptible power supply -- and see what you find. A UPS is basically a battery with an inverter and this brings us full circle back to where you started I think. But in any case hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation