Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nbadding
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there a need to keep the "D:" sector of my HDD (HP_RECOVERY) now that I've upgraded to Win 10

Pavillion p6774y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

After MANY YEARS of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, I have finally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64.  Is there any reason for me to keep the "D:" portion of the HDD (HP_RECOVERY)?  I have BOTH an external HDD backup with Acronis as well as a cloud backup with Acronis.  If I'm correct, the HP_RECOVERY would be the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with the OEM programs, so I don't see a "need" to keep it.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 20
Level 20
112,253 102,430 16,068 24,686
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there a need to keep the "D:" sector of my HDD (HP_RECOVERY) now that I've upgraded to Win 10

Hi:

That is correct.

If you were to reset the PC using the HP recovery manager program, you would get W7 back.

If you want to delete the partition and merge the C:\ partition into the space (if it lets you), that would be OK.

Hopefully you can delete it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nbadding
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Paul.  I'm not able to "delete" the "D:" drive, buy I am able to FORMAT it.  After which I should be able to use MiniTools Partition Wizard 11 to expand the allotted space for the "C:" portion.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
413 402 28 118
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
The pc indicates from the origin so well the one given above:
HP Pavilion p6774y Magnesium Gray Edition Desktop PC Product Specifications
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium version (64-bit)
and not ultimate ..
Therefore, it is very likely that the recovery partition is no longer usable anyway!
So yes, the only possibility is to format it and reallocate partitions with software
Be careful not to make a mistake at the risk of not starting any more, you will have to reinstall

Expert volontaire Forum Fr 17-10-2009

Sorry i'm using translate.google

give the model and P/n product number of the device

example: HP Phoenix h9-1228ef HPE product no.P / N: C0B64EA

please click on the accept as solution button

if message provided an answer / solution to the problem

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL.png
0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
112,253 102,430 16,068 24,686
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation