Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
2530p
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi, i have laptop with XP running on it but i want to find win 7 key if ever installed in drive as have win 7 key sticker but 

cant read the key anymore. Belearc only showed current xp key, could the win 7 key be stored somewhere on the drives partitioned if ever installed in past?   

Also i can read the other sticker's numbers. Can that be used through microsoft to find 25 digit key? 

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@OverblownMargin 

As far as I know, the answer to both questions is no.  Windows only stored one key in the registry and if you replace that, it does not save the old one.

You can download and run this utility and see if it retrieves a key from the BIOS:  https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowKeyPlus1.1.14.1/ShowKeyPlus1.1.14....

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@OverblownMargin 

As far as I know, the answer to both questions is no.  Windows only stored one key in the registry and if you replace that, it does not save the old one.

You can download and run this utility and see if it retrieves a key from the BIOS:  https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowKeyPlus1.1.14.1/ShowKeyPlus1.1.14....

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello
unfortunately I doubt that it works @WAWood 
the keys are in the bios from windows 8 only
Either you can decipher the key which is on the sticker.
either you will have to buy a new license I think

ShowKeyPlus

Find your Windows product key with ShowKeyPlus. Your product key depends on the type of Windows version you bought: • If you bought Windows from an authorized retailer, the product key will only show as the Installed key. This applies to OEM System Builder keys as well. • If you upgraded Windows, the Original key will be the key installed prior to the upgrade. NB if you upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you'll receive a unique Digital License instead of a product key. The key displayed will be an edition specific generic key in that case. • If you bought a new PC running Windows, the product key will be pre–installed on your PC and the key will be included in the firmware in the case of Windows 8 or 10 - or as an OEM marker, in the case of previous versions. The OEM key will display the key in the case of the former, or whether your PC was built for Windows Vista or Windows 7. • Apart from the key, the associated Edition of each key is displayed below it. • Dark mode compatibility

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.