Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 570-p056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I literally could not get into Windows 10 Home, build 2004 after we lost power and it decided to install an update.  Got incorrect password at login screen.  Tried about 20 times.  Finally called Microsoft and they told me my installation was corrupt.  Almost reinstalled last night, but was able to get in by using System Restore.

After I got in, I tried making  a Password Reset Desk.  But when I click the link "Create a password reset disk" in the Control Panel, nothing happens. 

How can I create a Password Reset Disk?  

I've had my computer since Oct 2017.  I have not reinstalled Windows since I purchased my product.  It is overdue for a reinstall, but I've never had this happen.

I also had Log In issues on my husband's old laptop (Windows 10) after completing the same update.   When I logged onto his computer, it had also done Windows Update and wanted a PIN and all sorts of stuff.  It wanted to link his computer.  It was just weird.  I was afraid, I would not get into his computer either, but I did. 

HP Pavilion 570-p056
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 1703
Intel(R) Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Core(s),
12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
1TB HD SATA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HyeDeLKM 

@HyeDeLKM wrote:

Did my backups, but couldn't get the darn MS Password Reset Disk thing to work. 

I click the link in the Control Panel and nothing happens, I'm kinda wondering if Microsoft is phasing this out...grhh

Good for having backups - keep these current.  👌

Could be.  Reading the Reset Disk document, the Reset Disk might have been "gone" for a while.

I cannot confirm - I have multiple accounts and I don't depend on the local password Reset Disk.

Excerpted from the Microsoft document

If you’re using Windows 10, version 1803 you can add security questions to your local account in case you forget your password, so you don't need to create a password reset disk. To do this, select the Start button > Settings > Sign-in options > Update your security questions

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@HyeDeLKM 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

================================================================

Backups!

IF you have not already done so - your first order of business

Make backups of your data.

Do this.

Password disk aside for the moment,

If you lose control of the login or the computer for any reason at all, it might be too late to backtrack.

Back up all your important to other than the local computer.

Do this.

Good, then.

Once you have backups, you need not worry as much about having to reload Windows at some point.

Password Reset Disk

The Password Reset Disk is made for a Local Windows Account.

Read about it here:

Microsoft - Create a password reset disk for a local account in Windows 10

Reset disk is a "windows" thing - and not in control of your HP branded software and drivers.

If you are using Windows 10 and a Microsoft login, you can reset that account login when / if needed.

PIN and all sorts of stuff

Microsoft - Why a PIN is better than a password

How to Add a PIN to Your Account in Windows 10

Reset your PIN when you’re already signed in to your device

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I click the link in the Control Panel and nothing happens, I'm kinda wondering if Microsoft is phasing this out...grhh

HP Pavilion 570-p056
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 1703
Intel(R) Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Core(s),
12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
1TB HD SATA
HP Recommended

@HyeDeLKM 

@HyeDeLKM wrote:

Good for having backups - keep these current.  👌

Could be.  Reading the Reset Disk document, the Reset Disk might have been "gone" for a while.

I cannot confirm - I have multiple accounts and I don't depend on the local password Reset Disk.

Excerpted from the Microsoft document

If you’re using Windows 10, version 1803 you can add security questions to your local account in case you forget your password, so you don't need to create a password reset disk. To do this, select the Start button > Settings > Sign-in options > Update your security questions

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same issue, entering recovery mode and uninstalling the last quality update got me back in but as soon as the update applied again (KB4571756) we were back to the same issue, you cannot enter safe mode either. Currently have uninstalled update (again) and disabled Windows Updates but this isn't an ideal solution, any idea's ? 

HP Recommended

@Minus4 

Found this:  

Preparing the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Ready for Release

Partial Excerpt

Microsoft
Written By published September 18, 2020

Hello Windows Insiders!

We are continuing to prepare the Windows 10 October 2020 Update (version 20H2) to be ready for release. Today, we are releasing Build 19042.508 (KB4571756) to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview Channel. We believe that Build 19042.508 is the final build and still plan on continuing to improve the overall experience of the October 2020 Update on customers’ PCs as part of our normal servicing cadence.

I think the notice odd in the sense that the update was installed on my Windows 2004 system (without any problems) on 12-Sept-2004. 

Where Installed: The system on which the Update installed is still quite new and is still in that "new system phase" - not overly customized and still somewhat "plain wrapper" setup.  Backups are active, I have a NAS mapped, there are some Cloud Storage services, the Desktop is heavily customized.   There are a few accounts, all of which are type "admin", one of the accounts is running under a Microsoft account login ID. That said, the system is not running much in the way of "extra software" (No games, for example), there are no docks, extra monitors, or other "gear" hanging from it.

In so much that I am aware, I am not participating in the Windows Insiders program.  Meh.

?

The actual patch notice doesn't mention that generally as a result of installing the Update, people might be locked out - the lack makes sense since being completely locked out of your computer is a show-stopper as far as Updates.  Microsoft Updates -September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508)

What to do?

This issue is something (were it me) that I would take to Microsoft - at least to the Community and possibly to Microsoft Support.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have also posted in Microsoft forums as i figure more heads are better

HP Recommended

@Minus4 

I think that is an excellent idea.

I have also reported this internally.

If there is "something" to it, we will likely read about it soon.

Stay safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.