Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Media Vault
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I know this is probably not the right section for my question but they do not list on for meida drives. My issue is the power supply in my media vault MV2020 failed. I tried changing out the power supply with no luck. Not sure if they sold me the correct one. So I removed the hard drive and got a sata cable so I can get the files off of the hard drive but my computer does not recognize the hard drive. Any help would be apprciated. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@hjeades

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

There could be several very different reasons why Vista will not recognize the hard drive -- but the basic thing to find out is if Vista even sees the device.

If you haven't used the Disk Management console in Vista, here is a link showing you how to open it:  http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-use-disk-management-to-ex...

Once you get the Disk Management window on the desktop, then scroll down.  If Vista sees the device, there will be a row dedicated to it.  If thing go well, all you will need to do is assign a drive letter -- which you do by right clicking the row for that device in the window.

If things do not go well, the device may be listed, but the partition type will show as RAW or unknown.  In either case, this means it has been formatted using some proprietary scheme and Windows alone can not read it. This is actually what I expect to happen on something from the Win2K/XP timeframe.

And, if this is the case, you can not read the contents of the drive because of that formatting.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.