Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 590-p0053w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MY WINDOWS 10 pc GIVES ME AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING I NEED ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION TO SAVE A FILE OR RENAME IT ETC. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR WHY DO I HAVE TO GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION EACH TIME???? AFTER I CLICK OK TO GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION IT WON'T LET ME SAVE IT IN FOLDER OF MY CHOICE i HAVE TO SAVE IT IN THE PICTURES FOLDER UNDER THE PC ICON INSTEAD OF SAVE AS IN ANY FOLDER I CHOOSE.  How can I change it back to letting me save it anywhere I want when I click save as and also not to get message to give myself administrator permission each time etc?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@amyedixon 

You are not the administrator, despite what you think.  With Windows 7 and later, due to the high rate of infections due to rootkits, MS changed the default profile types so that new installs were general class users with some Admin rights.  That's why you get a password prompt when you try to do some things -- the Trusted Installer component requires the password to continue.

This also restricts WHERE you can write and store files.  Generally, anything under your "users"  folder is OK; other places are locked out because they belong to the OS and you won't be able to use those.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood

I think I am trying to save it under user as you said.   It's the same place that I have always saved it over the past 1  1/2  it's only in the last month or two that it started to give me this message.  The path appears to be user desktop etc.  Is there a way to attach a photo of error message and path I'm trying to save it to. 

HP Recommended

This link below should take you to a copy of the pictures I took showing the error message saying I need administrator permission to save a file.......  Also photo of the path where I am trying to save it to on my PC under user light desktop.   I believe light is my username on the computer It chose it for me I think.  It doesn't ask me for a password when I try to save a file I have never seen that.  If this is not the right place for me to save them what is the right place  to find my documents folder and subfolders and how do I switch it over so that it will go there each time I click save as?   https://photos.app.goo.gl/1a1a5mWfnjWbqJjm8

HP Recommended

@amyedixon 

IF your username is "light", then you are trying to save in the right place and the PC should not be giving you issues over that.

While this should work, if we try to force ownership of those folders in their current locations, that could cause even more problems.  So, what I would suggest is that you create a new folder in C: named MyDocuments.  Once you have that, copy those other folders there. Don't try to Move the folders because that entails deleting the old folders and you won't have permission to do that.

See if that woks.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.