Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my CPU being maxed out these past couple of days, so I've been running every test that I can think of.

The items maxing my CPU is the System(15-18%) and Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process (80-88%).  The System points to an Application file with description NT Kernel & System. 

I have ran antivirus and found no trojans or viruses.  I have updated all my drivers, my BIOS is up to date, and have now began running the HP System tests.  Any ideas on the items above?  I honestly am not sure at this point of what else to do.

The Wireless IRQ Test has failed and has provided the failure ID: MCS9BX-9SGAKE-MFPXGK-88FL13

All other tests show as passed and no issues are found.  Any guidance is welcome before I quit all together trying with my laptop.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dmskinner 

Admittedly, this is a wild guess -- but Windows Update is known to do just this.  MS hides the update process inside Windows system files, so you don't see the culprit when you check Task Manager.

IF you check Windows Update and it shows no updates pending and the problem is still happening, then I would disconnect the PC from any Internet connection and see if that makes a difference.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@wawood

Unfortunately this has not helped.  I have recently ran the windows memory diagnostic which seemed to help for a couple of days.  Now I have Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process that will run and sometimes my CPU is 4% but other times this WDF will be the culprit maxing out my CPU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.