Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I did some searching and someone with a new Compaq notebook had these 3 options when accessing the HP recovery manager: "Microsoft system restore", "System recovery" and "minimized image recovery" which was described as "restore your computer to a clean Windows environment, with minimal software and drivers installed".

And someone else chose “System Recovery”. It rebooted and then gave them the option of a 'minimized image recovery'. This reinstalled everything except the bloatware.

I get these 3 options on my p6710f desktop: “Microsoft System Restore”, Microsoft Startup Repair Tool” and “System Recovery”. I chose “System Recovery”, but the next screen states ‘Restore your computer to its original factory state’. And ‘This process reinstalls the original shipped software’.

Then there were 2 choices: ‘Backup your files first (recommended)’ or ‘Recover without backing up your files’. Nowhere did I see 'minimized image recovery'.

Has anyone gone down the path of ‘Recover without backing up your files’?
If so, is there another option to do a 'minimized image recovery'?

Or is this option just not available on my PC?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

The option to be able to do a Minimized Image Recovery is a relatively new feature which is why you will not see it in your version of Recovery Manager.  As long as you have your own backup of your files, photots, programs etc, choosing to 'Recover without backing up your Files' is the option to choose - although as you mention, this will reinstall all the additional software originally bundled with your PC.  Although it won't help you at the moment, an option you may want to consider when you have Windows as you want it ( ie with all its updates applied, all the programs you don't want uninstalled, and all your personal files loaded ) is to use Disk Imaging software to create an image of your Hard Drive in this state.  You could then use this to reinstall Windows without having to go through all the previous hassle again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I will make a disc image, but I was hoping to get rid of some bloatware before I did so.

I do have a legit copy of Windows 7 that I could use, but thought it would be nice to do something like the Minimized Image Recovery just to make sure all the proper drivers get loaded.

Right now it’s kind of a toss up. Install a fresh copy of Windows 7 & spend time getting drivers & making sure everything else is there that is needed, or spend time getting rid of the bloatware. There’s not much garbage on the computer but with my luck I will delete something that I wish I had not, & not realize it was needed till months from now.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you created your HP Recovery Discs?  The Recovery Disc Creator application can usually be found in All Programs in a folder tittled Recovery Manager.  Using these discs to reinstall the OS would return everything on the PC to the condition it was in when you bought it - along with all the bloatware etc.  They are just a bootable copy of your Recovery Partition but it is always a good idea to create them.  Remember that deleting programs etc before creating these discs will not change what is on the HP Recovery Discs - they will always contain everything that originally came with your PC.

The other option in Windows 7 to create a Disk Image is ideal for what you want.  Uninstall everything you don't want, put on everything you do want and then use this option to create the Image.  This Image can then be used to restore the OS exactly as you want it.  You also have the security of knowing that if for some reason the Image is missing something vital, you can recover the whole system using the HP Recovery Discs.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

After investigating the same issue with a Pavilion dv7 that I received on 4/28/2011, I found this solution (which I did not find anywhere else - even when googling "hp minimized image recovery"). Hopefully this works for others too.

Issue:

Remove bloatware and maintain drivers and important HP software using a Minimized Image Recovery.

Solution:

While restarting your computer, hit F11. This should open a version of your Recovery Manager software that is slightly different from the version that is opened when Recovery Manager is opened during an active Windows session.

Clipboard01.jpg

When opening Recovery Manager during a reboot, there will be an additional option to use a Minimized Image Recovery in the left-hand column (missing above -  this instance of Recovery Manager was open during a normal Windows 7 session).

original.jpg

The above image (taken from this forum post), shows the Minimized Image Recovery option in Recovery Manager. The actual menu style may vary.

NOTE: This may not work for all HP computers. The available help articles mention that different versions of Recovery Manager exist and I have only tested this with the version installed on my HP Pavilion dv7t-6000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC.

HP Help Articles Mentioning "Minimized Image Recovery":

1) Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using HP Recovery

2) Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options

HP Recommended

In order to get back your lost image you must have to use an advanced data recovery solution whiich allow you to extract your images from the formatted or deleted storage media. If yo0u really want to get back you rlost images you should advoid to copy new files in such places where you lost your images. An image recovery software uses advanced algorithm which find and repair corrupted or inaccesible images from the storage meida. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

If I used 'Minimized Image Recovery' will I lose my files?

HP Recommended

no, you will not lose files. It will only compact the recovery file and make it small.

Even if you have lost files after computer reset, you can still reover deleted files from computer with some data recovery software. You may take a look at this data recovery after computer reset tutorial that helped me before

how to recover data after computer factory reset

hope this helps.

HP Recommended
*URGENT HELP NEEDED*
I am using HP ENVY m4 -1115x
I formatted my recovery partition. I tried to restore to factory and this is what I had "Recovery partition has been removed"

Please is there anything I can do to restore factory settings.
HP Recommended

HI Boatexsnow:

Thank you for your inquiry.

When you formatted the restore partition on your hard drive, all the data was deleted.

Format actually means to prepare a storage medium, usually a hard drive, for reading and writing. When you format hard drive, the operating system erases all bookkeeping information on the disk, tests the disk to make sure all sectors are reliable, marks bad sectors, and creates internal address tables that it later uses to locate information.

There is no longer any information stored to do a restore  or reset from.

You will need to install from a set of recovery disk, if you made them, or from a Windows CD

If you require a set of recovery disk you can purchase them .click here

I am sending you a link to a document on "System Recovery / Backup / Restore" click here

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.