Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pav Gaming 790-0021
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP gaming desktop windows 10 gaming computer x64. Intel core i5 8400 NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB. I was listening to music on spotify and playing The Division thru UBISOFT CONNECT. While doing this, my VIOTEK monitor kept  turning off saying no input several times. So finally I had enough and hard restarted because i couldnt get monitor back on. When computer came back on it took me to Windows Recovery Enviroment. Everything thing i clicked on, caused recovery to dim, lock-up. I tried every option and i had to hard reset everytime. Spoke to a community rep. we went through everything again. We ended convorsation. I tried the cmd promo one last time, and after about 15 min of it just staying highlighted it actually worked. I spoke to another live agent to figure out what i had to dofrom there. I ran chdsk /F c: over and over along with diskpart cmd lines..also ran chkdsk /R c:...almost 10 hours later..nothing. Finally took a break and turned of computer. Turned it back on and it went to black screen and in a big blue box it says even now, and same in Legacy mode by the way..:Boot device not found PLEASE INSTALL AN OPERATIG SYSTEM ON HARDRIVE..Hard Diak - (3FO)...F2 - System diognostics..ran quick check and drive passes...turned off, F10 for bios, said same thing after switching to legacy boot. ALso checked Intel rapid core Tech..its  good..Optane Value 931.5GB..computer to old for cloud restore because i checked it. i have no flash USB drive right now, but ordered one from walmart 32GB flash drive so i can make a bootable disk...is there anything else i can try or am missing? I could care less about factory reseting it. I just want it working aagagin

HELP

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not a big Intel Optane fan. The operating system is on the 1 TB HDD but IRST (Optane option) uses the 16 GB NVME drive to cache most used stuff for speed.

I would say the 16 GB drive may have failed.

Remove the 16 GB drive to see if you can start Windows using the 1 TB platter HDD.  This will probably be painfully slow. Then buy a replacement 16 GB drive if you want to stay with Optane.

I would buy a 500 GB or 1 TB M.2 NVME drive. Change the BIOS to ACHI. Install W10 on the M.2 drive. Forget about Intel Optane.

You can order recovery media from HP (Link) if you need HP software included in the factory image or you can install W10 clean (Link). The HP recovery media may not work if you don't use the Optane configuration. This recovery media may look for a cache drive and a 1 TB platter HDD.

Regards

HP Recommended

The 1TB drive is the one that failed. The other is only 13GB. I took out the larger drive, but it did the same thing. I ran a check on the drive through UEIF and it passed. I dont have another cpu to make a restore flash drive. I bought a 32GB one. Can i create one in browser somehow?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.