Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have the Win 7 code to download, but Microsoft says "Error - Must use MFG Version". Have gone round and round at HP. Where do I get the HP version?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@duckboat 

Sorry, but basically -- you don't! Why? Because HP has stopped carrying the Win7 recovery media.

There are third-party sites that claim to carry it, but I don't have their information and the one I used to cite has been closed down.

Hopefully, someone will come along with another site you can use.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @duckboat 

HP never provided a free download for W7 for your PC's model series, and as WAWood posted, they quit selling recovery media directly years ago.

You may have two options:

1. Enter the full model number or product number in the search window at the link below and see if this vendor sells recovery media for your PC.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

2. You can still download a Retail W7 Home Premium 32 or 64 bit ISO file at the link below, toward the bottom of the page.

https://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-free-download-iso-32-bit-64...

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

Since it is a retail ISO file, and your PC has an OEM product key, you may have to use the Microsoft automated phone activation system to activate the installation.

HP Recommended

Hi Duckboat, did you have any luck in getting the recovery media?

I am having the same problem!

THanks,

GLodeo

HP Recommended

Paul, I will try that. I am just trying to rescue an old PC to give to students in my county. I just have to get it up and running before the charity group reloads it for use.

I have checked drive via an adapter (OK) and power supply (OK) and have a replacement motherboard. Monitor checks out, but on boot, nothing on screen. Great puzzlement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.