Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my sister has a HP all in one desktop, a year old. And she gave it to me but before she did she did a system restore and I got my computer logged in and can do normal things like search the web and watch videos, but I can’t open games, I can’t install or download anything. My camera doesn’t work. And when I’m on as the administrator the “Microsoft store” where I can download things is there but it won’t open when I double click on it. Allot of programs I can click on them and it won’t open anything. I want to be able to download or “install things” but it won’t let me. Can someone help me plz!!! I’ve done registry editor and changed the child completion from 0-3 where I found online but it didn’t work either. I just want to be able to do zoom on this computer and download things. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ashley17222007 

Under the old Windows versions, like Win7, when you created a new user account, it automatically made you an Administrator -- which MS saw as a major "security hole" and of course, they "fixed" it -- making life for all of us now difficult.

Now, to create a new account, you have to use the Family stuff and that creates a LIMITED account, because it presumes you are doing those for kids and want them restricted in what they do.

So, see if you can do the following:

• Under Settings  > Accounts  > Family & other users, select the account owner name, then select Change account type.
  • Under Account type, select Administrator and OK.
  • Sign in with the new administrator account.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I just checked and the account that I am on is the administrator. Even the Microsoft store won’t open

HP Recommended

@Ashley17222007 

If your account shows up as a Amin account, then the other possibility is that the restore failed for some reason -- and we have no way to check or diagnose that.

There is something known as a Repair-Install that reinstalls Windows on top of itself but does not remove the accounts, settings, personal data, or applications.  That generally works when there are system issues related to Windows system files -- but this sounds like an Account issue, not a system files issue.

See if you can get the login information from your sister and see if THAT account works properly.  This could be an issue that is unrelated to the specific account.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When I started the computer I had to sign up and do my own accounts. I’ll try to explain the best I can. The main account I have on the computer is the administrator and we use that one. But no Microsoft store in that when I try to find it. I made another account. And that account has the Microsoft store but when I click on it, it doesn’t open. Allot of programs on both accounts do not open when I double click on them. When I started the computer the first time, I had a message show up that said “the computer restarted unexpectedly windows installation cannot proceed. So I did the f10 and got the registry editor up and was told to change the value data from 1-3 and after I did that the computer started up and I was able to continue 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.