Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Envoy 700-414
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This computer has never worked well since upgrading from the factory installed 8.1 to Windows 10.  It kept crashing or giving my low memory messages.   It does not seem to have a hardware problem (according to HPwwhen I first starting having problems).  It recently crashed and did a disk error recovery and now it seems Windows 10 is not fully installed and I have lost my bookmarks in my browsers and some of the older software.  I want to reload all of the softward before I give up on this machine--it is less than 2 years old.  Anyway, I see from the microsoft page, I can redownload Windows10.  My question is should I do a system recovery to the factory installed windows 8 before I I upgrade to Windows10?   Will Microsoft recognize I have a valid copy of windows10 if I start totally over?  I have a USB drive labelled recovery, date 4/2016.  Not sure if it 8 or 10, probably 10, but it could be corrupted, too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

As the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

>  giving me low memory messages

The 64-bit version of Windows specifies a minimum of 2 GB of RAM.

How much RAM in your computer?

Windows 10 has two recovery options: "refresh my PC" and "reset my PC".

The "refresh" will reinstall Windows, without affecting your installed programs or your data files.

That should fix any "corruption".

Backup your files/music/bookmarks/pictures before trying the "reset" option.

HP Recommended

David's solution worked great.  The recovery disk took me back to 8.1. I then downloaded Windows10, no problem with product key.  Yes, I got all of the preloaded HP "junk", but I did it this way to make sure I got all the drivers.  It took all day, but the machine is now running better than it ever did.  I had backup files, so I was able to reload all of my files and music.  Thank you so much for the information and confidence.

HP Recommended

@karcha1

Good to hear :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.