Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
All-in-one model 24-dp0158qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just reset my new PC due to using PCmover to transfer from my old HP TouchSmart 600 to my new HP All-in-one Model 24-dp0158qe and many things got very screwed up, which I've been told was probably from transferring from Win 10 Version 1903 to the new computers Win 10 Version 2004. So I'm starting over, but the new PC  still  has Win 10 Version 2004, which I've been told is really not ready to use. What to do? If recommended how do I force my new PC to go back to  a older version of  Win 10? And if I move forward what is  the best transfer program  to use? EasUS ToDo PC Trans has been mentioned, is  that the best? Sorry for all  this  but I have been a  week trying to get my new PC up and running only to having to  RESET it today. HELP 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sinned3 

I have used both of the popular migration applications -- PC Mover Pro and EaseUS ToDo PC Trans, and I have found the second to be both easier to use and more reliable.  Unfortunately, like the first, only the PAID version will migrate applications.

And, as @Prométhée has already indicated, migrating from one version of Win10 to a different version can cause problems.

You can no longer download older Windows 10 versions from Microsoft, so you have basically no way to install an older Win10 version on the new PC.

As to upgrading the older PC to win10 v2004, I would not FORCE it even if you can -- as there are too many unsolved issues right now with Win10 v2004.  Here is a thread from MS about those:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

My suggestion would be to use EaseUS app to migrate the minimum number of apps that you simply don't want to take the trouble to reinstall.  That might work better than migrating everything you can.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry but i don't understand exactly what you are trying to do ..
From what I understand, you tried to move everything from the old model, to the new, and you also hope to have the version of windows, which is on the old on the second computer?
I do not know the software, but it should not be done like that, the two computers being very different!
If the software is not compatible with the new windows, maybe you have to find another one.
What do you want, recover exactly from the old pc ??

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Sorry, I'll try to make it simpler. I tried transferring all apps and data from old PC to new PC but it produced many problems. I was advised that if the two PCs did not have the same Win 10 Version that it could cause trouble. I have now reset the new PC back to out-of-the-box condition. I  am asking since the two PCs have  different Win 10 versions, what is the best way to do the  transfer? And do I have to somehow make the two PCs Win 10 versions match?

HP Recommended

It is possible that the problem comes from apps not compatible with the latest version.
As it is possible that the way of using the software is not correct
For the moment I suppose that the old pc, is not ready for the last version, it will take a little time for the updates to be offered
Reinstalling an old version on the new one is probably not the best thing to do!
I can't decide for you!
My advice would be more to transfer your personal data.
And try to reinstall the software you have on the new in a classic way!
You may also have included programs, preinstalled by HP, which may not be on the new one!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Does anyone else have further advice,  particularly about best transfer programs. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Sinned3 

I have used both of the popular migration applications -- PC Mover Pro and EaseUS ToDo PC Trans, and I have found the second to be both easier to use and more reliable.  Unfortunately, like the first, only the PAID version will migrate applications.

And, as @Prométhée has already indicated, migrating from one version of Win10 to a different version can cause problems.

You can no longer download older Windows 10 versions from Microsoft, so you have basically no way to install an older Win10 version on the new PC.

As to upgrading the older PC to win10 v2004, I would not FORCE it even if you can -- as there are too many unsolved issues right now with Win10 v2004.  Here is a thread from MS about those:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

My suggestion would be to use EaseUS app to migrate the minimum number of apps that you simply don't want to take the trouble to reinstall.  That might work better than migrating everything you can.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

PC Mover Pro is a good choice for sure. It helped me a lot in the same situation, when I was migrating. But talking of a specific software and how to migrate, for example, from one help desk system to another, it would be nice to see more solutions like this one zendesk to freshdesk I found recently. I've never thought that it can be so easy, no kidding.

HP Recommended

Hello
as I indicated, the best solution for the moment, and to make the simplest!
If you try to update the old model you risk problems!
If you install the old version on the new one, there can be difficulties, in any case plan to create the support to reinstall factory before if possible with this model!
Many software / programs, work better if they are installed normally, and just check if there are no more recent versions available, before installing them !!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks for your recommendations! 

HP Recommended

I had audio issues with version 2004 and was able to roll back to version 1909 in recovery last week.  I found out there were known issues with 2004 and the Realtek audio drivers. Are you sure that the roll back is a download? It sure looked like a restore process to me. 

BTW, the rollback solved my audio issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.