Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillon p6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have tried to install Windows 10 on my desktop, but unsuccessfully. There is a problem of compatibility or driver?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@stan3739 

I didn't find any HP Win10 drivers for your PC, so forcing the upgrade is risky -- especially since the Upgrade corrupts the HP Recovery information in the process, then preventing you from doing a Rollback to Win8x if that fails.

However, if you are determined and are willing to do some work, you can try the following ...

1) Make an image backup of your setup to external drive or large USB stick

2) Download and create Win10 install media from Microsoft and do the upgrade.

----------------------------------------

In terms of the first ... follow the instructions below to use Macrium Reflect to create an image backup of your current setup to external drive or large USB stick.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

----------------------------------------
In terms of the second ... use the link below to download and create Win10 install media on a USB stick (of at least 8GB in size): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, insert the USB stick, select the drive it is on, (do NOT boot from it), select the setup.exe file, right-click and select run as Administator. That will start an in-place Upgrade of your current PC to the latest version.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.