Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProDesk 405 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP ProDesk 405 G4, and I am trying to

reinstall Windows  10 on a replacement Toshiba SSD (it is the same type as the one removed - 256GB NVMe M.2 SSD)

But the machine doesn't seem to recognise the new SSD, I have also tried a 1TB 2.5" SATA drive in it 

and it doesn't recognise that one either.

I am unable to try the SSD in my other machine as the other PC doesn't have a M.2 slot for a SSD, but the SATA drive is fully functioning in my other PC.

Please help! I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure it out!

I apologise if I have missed any rules, I was so determined in my manic state of mind (I have bipolar and ADHD) to get it fixed I just flew onto the first forum I thought of and blurted out my question!

Thanks in advance 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DisoX-UK 

Are you saying that when you go to install Windows and the window opens listing the available drives,  there is nothing listed there?

What I would suggest is having the SSD connected and then reboot, pressing F9 repeatedly -- as this will display the Boot Devices menu.  IF you don't see the SSD in the list, then the BIOS/UEFI is not seeing it.

Usually, this is due to either or both of two UEFI options being set: (1) secure boot, and (2) disable booting from portable media.  But in those cases, you would not be able to boot from a USB drive to do the Win10 installation and it appears you can do that.

If it were just the NVME drive, my guess would be the lack of NVME native boot, but if the PC was booting from this previously, that should not NOW be a problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood thanks so much for answering my question

I bit the bullet and just reinstalled windows on the SSD already installed, but now when I try to pull across my hard drives from my old Windows 10 PC, this one wont 'see' them, but right now I have only fitted it and looked for it with disk management, I haven't done any further investigation.

Also, my old PC is an Intel PC and this is AMD. Would that affect things at all?

Thanks again for your helpful advice. due to mental health conditions I tend to just blurt out questions and hope someone understands me!

HP Recommended

@DisoX-UK 

So this PC that can not see the replacement NVME drive also can not see other SATA drives either?

I have an older PC that can not boot from an NVME drive but Disk Management and Windows in general have no problem either seeing or accessing the drive.

The switching of processors between AMD and Intel should have no effect at all on the ability to see the drives -- as I do this with external drives all the time and have run into no problems.

IF disk management does not even see it, that sounds very much like a BIOS/UEFI issue and I really hesitate to do BIOS restore as that is a real easy way to accidentally "brick" the PC.  

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.