Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-0470c H5P71AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This PC was in the process of having Windows installed to a formatted hard drive.

It will only boot in legacy mode even with a new Windows 10 install DVD (or even an older one).

The keyboard works in the UEFI.  So, they DO appear to be working in a hardware context.

But, when OS  booting begins, the keyboard and mouse lights go out and don't return.

Unplugging the mouse and replugging it will cause the mouse light to turn on but no cursor or mouse function appears.

The keyboard lights just stay off no matter what.

Cannot proceed with Windows installation.

Knoppix live CD will start but, again, no mouse or keyboard.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@fred3

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Have you tried a different keyboard or mouse?

Are you using the HP Recovery Media to reinstall the Windows?

Keep me posted

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The mouse and keyboard are regularly used on other computers and continue to work on THIS computer prior to OS boot.

I don't have the HP Recovery Media.  I am using the Microsoft Windows 10 DVD (and have tried other live DVDs).

In the end, I reset the BIOS.  That fixed the problem.  Rather unfortunate but true.

HP Recommended

@fred3

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.