Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-210qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Replaced known bad power supply in my Pavilion 500 desktop after trying every suggested fix on this forum or others online. Nothing worked. Tested new PSA prior install. Green lite lit and voltages on 24 pin connector were good. The fan came on. Connect cables and now nothing is activating. Green led is flashing. What's next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Is this your computer: HP Pavilion 500-210qe Product Specifications and Configurable Options | HP® Customer Support

If so, it was released in October 2013, which implies that the (dead) power-supply, the disk-drive, and the motherboard are of about that vintage. 

If I had a 7 or 8 year old disk-drive -- from 2013 to 2021 -- I would "retire" it.

Can you physically remove it, attach it as a secondary disk-drive in some other computer, and copy all your Documents/Downloads/Pictures/etc onto a backup device, while there is some minimal "life" remaining in the disk-drive?

My guess is that the motherboard has malfunctioned.

So, rather than spending any more money on your "antique", start looking for a brand-new computer that is listed as "compatible with Windows 11".

It will come with Windows 10 pre-installed. Run Windows 10 until Spring 2025,

Or, sometime in 2022, when Windows 11 will become available as a free upgrade, upgrade to Windows 11.

Note: if you do find a replacement motherboard, it is possible that your license to run Windows 10 was "locked" to the previous motherboard. Microsoft's "activation" of Windows may force you to purchase ($150 ???) a new license for Windows 10.  Of course, a brand-new computer will come with a license for Windows 10.  So, use that $150 as partial payment for a brand-new computer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Is this your computer: HP Pavilion 500-210qe Product Specifications and Configurable Options | HP® Customer Support

If so, it was released in October 2013, which implies that the (dead) power-supply, the disk-drive, and the motherboard are of about that vintage. 

If I had a 7 or 8 year old disk-drive -- from 2013 to 2021 -- I would "retire" it.

Can you physically remove it, attach it as a secondary disk-drive in some other computer, and copy all your Documents/Downloads/Pictures/etc onto a backup device, while there is some minimal "life" remaining in the disk-drive?

My guess is that the motherboard has malfunctioned.

So, rather than spending any more money on your "antique", start looking for a brand-new computer that is listed as "compatible with Windows 11".

It will come with Windows 10 pre-installed. Run Windows 10 until Spring 2025,

Or, sometime in 2022, when Windows 11 will become available as a free upgrade, upgrade to Windows 11.

Note: if you do find a replacement motherboard, it is possible that your license to run Windows 10 was "locked" to the previous motherboard. Microsoft's "activation" of Windows may force you to purchase ($150 ???) a new license for Windows 10.  Of course, a brand-new computer will come with a license for Windows 10.  So, use that $150 as partial payment for a brand-new computer.

HP Recommended

All your comments and suggestions have been thoughts spinning in my head since the moment it failed to reboot. After testing the  PSU and finding it no longer working I ordered a new one and installed it in hopes of giving me sufficient time to recover files (especially photos - I'm a photographer) and shop around for a replacement. TIME TO BITE THE BULLET! Thank you for taking the time to respond in stark and honest terms. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.