Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite e9107c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have a Pavilion Elite e9107c, Win10 Home 64bit (upgraded from Win 7), the computer is stock except for the graphic card (original card fail) and a PCIe USB 3.0 card, both installed about 3yrs+ ago.  The HDD currently in the computer is a Seagate Barracuda 750GB (ST3750528AS).

So here's the issue, over the past 3 weeks or so, whenever my computer restarts it will boot up to a Black Screen (see below pic) which says “Hard disk failure is imminent….have it replace!….<F2> to Continue”  After hitting F2 it boots to Windows and seem to work fine; until or when it restarts again, then the same Black Screen.

PC697_Blk Screen.jpg

I have read a ton of KB’s and tried a number of the suggested Diagnostics/Utilities with no success…the Black Screen persists.  At this point I would like to replace to HDD just to be safe so here are my questions:

1. Can someone recommend a (New) compatible HDD with 1 to 2 TB of storage?

2. Can someone walk me though, step by step on reinstalling Windows 10 and moving all my software and files onto the new HDD? (I can handle the removal of the old HDD and the installing of the new drive into the computer tower.) 

I have already created a Windows 10 Installation media on a USB Drive and an ISO file to DVD Disc using the "Windows10 installation media" creation tool from Microsoft' website.  I have also created a system repair disc and backup all my file and system image to an external USB hard drive.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

sorry @WAWood 

but this model:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c01775359
most definitely can not use hp cloud recovery being original with windows 7 2009
The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive.
Currently, the tool supports consumer PCs manufactured in 2016 and later. Earlier computers are being added on an ongoing basis. If you purchased your computer before 2016, go to

You must either use disk image software or reinstall from Microsoft media.

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

The user could also try installing a classic SATA SSD, which may improve performance a bit.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@flybizz 

Any SATA 1TB or 2TB drive will work to replace the one you have.  Common suppliers include Seagate, Western Digital and Toshiba, to name a few.  These are available through online computer parts stores like MicroCenter.

While swapping the drives is a simple matter, recovering your existing setup, migrating it to the new drive, is far from that.

You will have to BUY special software to do that.  Two products that work are EaseUS ToDo PC Transfer and Laplink PC Mover.  These cost about the same but I prefer using the first over the second.

You install the app, decide what you want to migrate and it creates a file that needs to be saved offline to an external drive or large USB stick.

Then, you use a 32GB USB stick to create HP Recovery Media following these instructions:

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

You boot the PC from that USB stick and follow the directions to reinstall your PC.

When finally done, you install the migration app on the new drive, connect the drive using the file you saved, and use the app to restore your previous apps and settings to the new drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi

sorry @WAWood 

but this model:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c01775359
most definitely can not use hp cloud recovery being original with windows 7 2009
The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive.
Currently, the tool supports consumer PCs manufactured in 2016 and later. Earlier computers are being added on an ongoing basis. If you purchased your computer before 2016, go to

You must either use disk image software or reinstall from Microsoft media.

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

The user could also try installing a classic SATA SSD, which may improve performance a bit.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks to all for your help and input.  I installed a Samsung SSD and used their Data Migration Software...all is good.  Machine is much snapper now.

Thanks again!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.