Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6624y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A frieds Pavilion p6624y crashed and I need to pull the data from the hard drive.

After turning the power on the fan runs, but nothing else happens. I am thinking it is the mother board.

So I attempt to get the data from the hard drive.

I remove the drive with out incident and I attach it to a write blocker on another PC.

I have done this sort thing a couple hundred times.

When I connect the write blocker to the PC two drives appear:

HP_RECOVERY (D:)

SYSTEM (G:)

The HP_RECOVERY (D:)

HP D.PNG

The SYSTEM (G:)

HP G.PNG

I cant see files.

Is there some sort of encryption going on?

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Along with @Grzwacz comments, if the drive has encryption, it is going to be tuff going,  most likely done.

If your friend says no encryption, then try boot the host to Linux Live OS.  Then look at the drive.  Sometimes Windows will get funny and not let you look at the data.  If Linux that can see the data, you can move it to another media without any further complications.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Whatever method you are using to access the HDD on a different PC is not allowing access to the entire HDD.

I usually connect the HDD or SSD to an open internal SATA port on a different PC to get access to the disk. Or you could use a HDD to USB caddy.

You would have to talk to your friend about encryption such as BitLocker or whatever. BitLocker is usually used on Windows Pro and above versions. HP normally ships Windows 7 Home Premium on consumer PCs.

Regards

HP Recommended

Along with @Grzwacz comments, if the drive has encryption, it is going to be tuff going,  most likely done.

If your friend says no encryption, then try boot the host to Linux Live OS.  Then look at the drive.  Sometimes Windows will get funny and not let you look at the data.  If Linux that can see the data, you can move it to another media without any further complications.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I am using this:

https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-3-0-sataide-adapter-with-write-protection

I have used it on many a drive with out issue.

HP Recommended

Hi.

Is it working now?

Regards

HP Recommended

Nope. still see what I posted before

HP Recommended

Will  Linux Live OS recogize my  write blocker attached via USB?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hi,

Okay.

Best wishes.

Hope you get this problem resolved.

Regards

HP Recommended

If you use the Linux live OS, without the write blocker, then what do you see?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.