Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P7-1267C
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I AM TRYING TO REINSTALL WINDOWS 7 ON A NEW BLANK HARD DRIVE ON A NEW COMPUTER TO BE USED AS A SECOND OPERATING SYSTEM.

I DISCONNECTED ALL EXTRA DRIVES.

I PUT THE FIRST REPLACEMENT DISK IN THE CD DRIVE.

I SET THE BOOT OPTION TO BOOT OFF THE CD DRIVE.

WHEN I TURN THE SYSTEM ON , I GET THE FOLLOWING ERROR:

"BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND"

"PLEASE INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM ON YOUR HARD DRIVE"

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sometimes the Windows boot manager trumps any of the settings you did in the BIOS.

See if this works...

Turn on or restart the PC.

Press the ESC key to get the menu of options like you did to get into the BIOS.

Instead of pressing the F10 option, press the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the DVD drive and press the Enter key.

Watch the screen for a message to 'Press any key to boot from the DVD.'

Press any key.  I usually press the Enter key since it is so big and the PC should boot from the recovery disk.

HP Recommended

I pressed the ESc key, then preesed the F9 key.

The DVD drive did not come up.
The box that came up showed:

Please select boot device
UEFU Boot Sources
Legacy Boot Sources.
I clicked on both but nothing happened.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know why the DVD drive is not showing up under the legacy boot sources menu when you select the F9 boot options menu.

There should be a DVD drive listed under the legacy boot sources category.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.