Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 14 (18,359 Views)

Re: Spectre X360 Extremely hot

I have the i5 version, and I experience the same heat issues as you guys described. Also, the area right above the F1-F5 keys gets really really hot after running anything even mildly graphics intense. Even simple 2d flash games will cause the fan to throttle up and that area will become extremely hot. It has been like this since the beginning. Other than the heat issue, I honestly have no qualms with this ultrabook.

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 14 (18,323 Views)

Hi @odontomon,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. It is a great site for information and questions. I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre X360 Notebook and issues with overheating and possible fan issues. Here is a link on what could cause overheating and how to reducing heat inside the Notebook.

You could reset the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Which has helped others as it restores the fans default settings.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.Smiley Happy

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Message 3 of 14 (18,308 Views)

I tried resetting the BIOS to default settings just now, but to be honest, I don't think it will really make a difference. My issue mainly occurs when I run anything that requires any sort of graphics processing. Simple HTML or 2d flash games will cause it to run very hot. And more graphics intensive games such as Dota 2 will cause it to overheat and shut itself down after a few minutes. I don't think this is anything that can be managed by software changes, but I will keep you updated.

Top Student
Message 4 of 14 (18,039 Views)

Re: All 4 Spectres so far X360 Extremely hot

[ Edited ]

This is my 4th HP Spectre new release July 31st now Windows 10.  The last 3 were in March.  I kept returning because all were overheating.  HP tech even went remotely in my computer to fix the problem, updated the bios etc but to no avail. This last one is registering 119 degrees heat and cannot put it on my lap.  The 3rd one was more that 121 degrees unfortunately my thermometer can only register max 121 degrees.   Everyone of these new hp spectres ultrabook I had are overheating.  It is too bad because I truly love the look and feel of this model.  I keep buying and returning because I am hoping to get receive one that will not overheat.  Unfortunately,  I will have to return this... again!!!  I'm calling HP

UPDATE:

Talking to case manager and again, it is better to return and buy another replacement.  Sending it out today.  I won't give up  :--((

Honor Student
Message 5 of 14 (17,882 Views)

Greetings --

I am seeing the same issue with my i7 Spectre x360 since I updated it to Windows 10 - even moderate processing loads (such as browsing Google Maps in satellite mode) will cause thermal shutdowns to occur without warning.

The machine is new and BIOS settings have not been changed.  Latest BIOS (F.22) is installed.  Vents and fan are clear and without dust, and machine remains propped up about 0.5" from the desk to increase airflow.  System is not being used for especially processor-intensive activities like gaming - just cloud programming work.

Please advise.  Another link to the "clean your fan and vents" article will not solve this one.  Thanks.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 14 (17,876 Views)

Hey @ErikKakulis,

Restoring the BIOS back to factory settings is one of the fixes for the Overheating.  If that was done and did not help, then

I recommend returning the Notebook back to original OS.

Updating your Windows. Then try Windows 10 again.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.Smiley Happy

I work on behalf of HP
Student
Message 7 of 14 (16,894 Views)

That's heat sink problem, you have to replace heat sink.

I have two hp spectre x360 laptops. One is normal (called laptop A), but one (called laptop B) is very hot. I run prime95 and check cpu temp by HWmonitor on laptop B (both software are free). Cpu temp of laptop B is over 103 cecilus. 

I bough artic silver thermal paste, but cpu temp of laptop B is still the same. So cpu or heat sink has problem.

I switch heat sink between two laptops.  For laptop B with heat sink from laptop A, cpu temp decreses to about 75 cecilus.  And for laptop A with heat sink from laptop B, cpu temp increases to over 100 cecilus.

So heat sink causes problem. I don't know what's wrong with heat sink. May be heat pipe.

Under the area around R key is cpu. That's why area around F1-F5 keys is hot.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 14 (13,657 Views)

I purchased the same model and it is also overheating. Just received it back from service with all new insides and it is shutting down again due to overheating. If it is still under warranty - can I return it? With Best Buy I believe you only have 15 days? I purchased it last summer.  I also use a cooling pad however the laptop still overheats. HELP! I suspect I should call HP. I too love the look and feel and I am a dedicated HP users however enough is enough.

biz888 wrote:

This is my 4th HP Spectre new release July 31st now Windows 10.  The last 3 were in March.  I kept returning because all were overheating.  HP tech even went remotely in my computer to fix the problem, updated the bios etc but to no avail. This last one is registering 119 degrees heat and cannot put it on my lap.  The 3rd one was more that 121 degrees unfortunately my thermometer can only register max 121 degrees.   Everyone of these new hp spectres ultrabook I had are overheating.  It is too bad because I truly love the look and feel of this model.  I keep buying and returning because I am hoping to get receive one that will not overheat.  Unfortunately,  I will have to return this... again!!!  I'm calling HP

UPDATE:

Talking to case manager and again, it is better to return and buy another replacement.  Sending it out today.  I won't give up  :--((

Honor Student
Message 9 of 14 (12,187 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also purchased following PC for my daughter and she said she is having overheating issue. It gets too hot to keep it on laptop. She is just using MS Word and other office softwares. No high CPU load software but gets really hot and fan is running all the time.

13.3" diagonal QHD UWVA BrightView OLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass(2560 x 1440)
Windows 10 Home 64
256GB Flash Solid State Drive
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor + Intel® Iris™ Graphics 520 (For 16GB memory)
Onboard 16GB Memory
Student
Message 10 of 14 (8,737 Views)

Spectre X360 just got it, heating unberably all the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation