Post new question
Question
Re: Spectre X360 Extremely hot
Replies (13)

Message 11 of 14 (1,703 Views)

Re: All 4 Spectres so far X360 Extremely hot

@Liz29H

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Distinguished Professor
Message 12 of 14 (1,699 Views)

> I recommend returning the Notebook back to original OS.

> Updating your Windows. Then try Windows 10 again.

Where is the "Thumbs Down" button for the above suggestion ???

That's a lot of work:

* download 3 Gbytes of the Windows 10 installation media;

* find all the product-keys for licensed software, and their installation files/media;

* external backup of all files/pictures/music/E-mail/bookmarks;

* find the original Windows 25-character license-key;

* either find the original Windows media, or verify that the "system recovery" partition was not destroyed when Windows 10 was installed;

* reinstall Windows;

* update it with Internet Explorer 11, update with one "special" fix, and then download/isntall the latest "Windows 7 Roll-up" (containing all fixes since Service Pack 1);

* install the game software, to see if the overheating still occurs -- I THINK THAT IT WILL !!!

* upgrade to Windows 10;

* run Windows Update;

* install the game software, to see if the overheating still occurs -- I THINK THAT IT WILL !!!

* install all the other licensed (and free) software;

* Restore from external backup;

After all the above, I THINK THAT THE PROBLEM STILL WILL EXIST.

Hint: purchase another disk-drive, and "clone" all partitions from the current disk-drive onto the new disk-drive,

using the disk-cloning software provided with the new disk-drive.

Remove the old disk-drive, and set it aside.

Connect the new disk-drive.

Do this "system recovery experiment" on the new disk-drive,

i.e., restore original OS, install just the one gaming app, and test it.

When this "experiment" is done, remove the new disk-drive, and connect the old disk-drive.

This is much better than a wholesale modification of your current disk-drive,

in what I think is a NON-FRUITFUL experiment.

My alternative suggestion: buy one of those "cooling base" units.

Picture at: http://www.zdnet.com/i/story/61/18/002000/microsoft_laptopcoolingbase_2.jpg

and place the laptop atop it.

Some models run on USB power, and it will have one (or more) fans to force cool air into the laptop,

to force the hot air out of the laptop.

Honor Student
Message 13 of 14 (291 Views)

Because I'm out of warranty, I decided to open up the computer to see the problem. When I lifted up the heat sync, I found an overuse of thermal compound. This could reduce airflow and performance. Also, since the intake grill has no filter, grime becomes stuck in the heat pipe and it's impossible to get out
Student
Message 14 of 14 (248 Views)

Re: All 4 Spectres so far X360 Extremely hot

Uninstall HP support assistant. Open task manager and you'll see that HP support assistant is using more than 50% CPU at any given time. Hence overheating. Please uninstall it and see instant relief in heating. This is working for me at the moment, I'll update if I face the problem again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation