Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 19 (448 Views)

Recovery fails to load on HD: USB-Windows 7 64

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Pavilion p7-1107c
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Folks, I just received  Win7  64 bit Recovery kit from HP partner Arvato Digital Services, LLC  in the form of a USB stick.  After my would-b bro in law never made his own recovery disk, the HD failed hard. I ordered the recovery media and located this young 750 gig HD in my collection, and loaded Mint 18.1 Mate on it temporarely, until I could get the recovery media.  I am writing this with the box and HD in question.

The recovery media doesn't seem to work. I successfully booted to USB, and the win7 recovery progress bar appeared, but stopped at the point where a blue recovery screen appears, but it is blank.  There is one quick flash of the HD's activity l.e.d., and then everything stops.  The only thing I see is the Cancel "X" on the upper right hand corner.  If I click on "X", I get the "continue or cancel system recovery and reboot" panel.  Nothing keeps happening unless I click on "cancel" and we go back to reboot.

The HD is an Hitachi from a similar P7 1100 series from around the same year, 2011 or so.  It passed the SMART with flying colors.  I checked the USB stick, having the microsoft logo and ordered directly through HP.  It has all the files seemingly intact, and is a bootable stick.  I am truely stumped!?  The MB is fine, I have all functions using Mint.  y

Any suggestions?

Thanks

holmziep

UPDATE: MAY 1ST:

After talking to 7 people , I finally spoke to the tech support, but I don't have the means to pay for a subcription.   With out actually saying as much, he directed me here!  Hah! 

He did say:  there IS more than one way to use this USB stick to RELOAD Win 7 and the Pavilion p7-1107c features/drivers on this computer. 

I am guessing that I have to prepare recovery and/or hidden partition(s) to accomodate ALL the features of the origional Pavilion p7-1107c.  I am also "guessing" I could bypass much of this if I wanted a simpler installation, without a recovery feature. 

In the mean timeI will do some searching on this forum, because someone most likely has posted solutions to my Paviliion p7-1107c  recovery quest.

I  again would thank anyone out there for your help, suggestions, or a link or two to point me in the right direction!!

holmziep

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 19 (390 Views)

Re: Recovery fails to load on HD: USB-Windows 7 64

[ Edited ]

I'm Begging for attention here, so ,much that i'm replying to my own post...!

Just to be clear: The System Recovery kit ordered from HP has  the following writing on it:

Arvato Digital Services, LLC,

A5U99AV

The instructions I received with the Win 7 64 bit restoration kit from HP directed me to go to the boot menu or boot order in the startup menu and select the DVD/CD drive option, and continue to boot via that means..  In another FAC sheet of instruction they say to select the UEFI DVD/USB source.

WHOOOO NELLY!   IN SETUP There AIN"T no selection in my boot menu for a USB UEFI boot!

There are two headings in the BOOT SELECTION menu and the BOOT ORDER menu.  One is the UEFI selections available, the other is for Legacy Bios selections.  Under the Boot SELECT tab, UEFI has NO ENTRIES.  Obviously, the boxs boots with the Legacy Bios, because that is where the 750 gig Hitachi HD is listed.  The only USB option is also listed under "Legacy Bios" .  So to boot to the USB stick I moved that entry up the ladder so it is before the Hitachi HD, and the Win 7 loading progress bar begins only to stop just before anything is loaded on the HD as I described in the previous post.

Three Questions:

1) If the instructions direct me to select UEFI USB to boot, and it ain't there, will booting from non-UEFI work?

2) Is there not a way I can extract the needed files and make my own bootable DVD set.

3) Would there be a bios update that makes choices available to select UEFI boot for the Hitachi HD and USB Boot stick?

I am further investigating the possibilities, and have found  the following link:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html#step1

I have a lot to digest by the look of it.

Can any one help me?  Please?  I really appreciate your time and comments!

holmzieip

N2EXG

HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 19 (375 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @holmziep,

Good Day.  Thank you for visiting the HP support forums. I understand that you are having issues with running a recovery on your computer with the USB flash recovery kit that you ordered. I will be really glad to assist you here. :)

Splendid description and superb analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. :) You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you.

• Do you get any errors and if so, please share the error message.
  • Did you try running hardware diagnostics on the computer especially the hard drive again after the install failed just ensure that the hardware is functional?

For a start please perform these steps.

• Please perform a hard reset on the computer by following this link: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c01463028
  • Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer including the Ethernet cable.
  • Then keep pressing the Esc key to bring up the start menu and then press F10 to go to the bios.
  • Please reload bios defaults from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07110  and following the step “Reloading the BIOS default settings”
  • Then please press F9 and go to one-time boot options and try to run recovery again.
    If it fails, then please contact HP phone support to get the USB recovery media replaced. It may be faulty.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Also ensure to run complete hardware diagnostics on the computer from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02491515 and run extensive tests that take about 2 hours to run to ensure that the computer hardware is fully functional.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 4 of 19 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]

DavidSMP, Thank you kndly for your reply.  Please  be sure you have reviewed My origional April 30 post with May 1st update, and my own reply to my own post of May 2.  There is a reference number 3038364592 associated with my conversations with no less than 6 person.  The final conclusion by tech support was particulary interesting.

Allow me to answer your questions and give you my test observations in the order you presented them.   Please be aware that I performed all tests when my brother-in-law moved in with us and presented us with this desktop.  Though I had to clean out the dust and do system maintenance, the machine ran great for an AMD box.   Some 3 weeks later the HD failed catistropically, with no warning.  I assumed he had made a recovery set, but they turned out to be music cd's. 

"Did you try running hardware diagnostics on the computer especially the hard drive again after the install failed just ensure that the hardware is functional?

Yes:  ran diagnostics from setup program, all past, including S.M.A.R.T.  I am writing this with the P7 box running Linux Mint 18.1

"Do you get any errors and if so, please share the error message."

There are no error messages.

"Please perform a hard reset on the computer" 

I performed this action which made no changes.

"Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer including the Ethernet cable."

"Then keep pressing the Esc key to bring up the start menu and then press F10 to go to the bios."

"Please reload bios defaults from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07110  and following the step "Reloading the BIOS default settings”

"Then please press F9 and go to one-time boot options and try to run recovery again."

DavidSMP:  I did this and no change.  BIOS settings were already at the default settings.

"If it fails, then please contact HP phone support to get the USB recovery media replaced. It may be faulty."

It is terribly difficult to get to the right department, and I am not confident that I will get the right recovery media, or that there even IS an available recovery media out there.   Most current HP personell have never had their hands on a 6 year old computer, so forums are the only way to get info.  Fortunately I made my purchase through a credit card which will allow me to get my money back if no other satisfactions is achieved.  But: I still own the license for this OEM copy of Win7, and I want to use it!

DavidSMP, The conclusion from your own HP Tech Support seems in conflict with the your possible conclusion that the media is faulty.  He could not get any farther because I would have to subscribe to the service.  I am lead to believe that there is a method to extract the files into a bootable medium and load onto a properly formated HD with required hidden partition and the like.  I would like to investigate that possiblilty if no easier means exists. 

My BIOS version is 7.06

Let me correct my mistake:  In the  BIOS: it is the F9 "Boot Select" having NO selections under UEFI heading.  I mistated that as the "Boot Order" in previous post.   I have since edited that to read Boot SELECT.

And, Let me more carefully describe what I see:  This is when I select the only way to boot the USB Recovery stick:  That is only able to be selected under "Legacy BIOS":

The grey "Windows is loading Files"  progress bar moves across the bottom of the screen and completes.

Then a blue VGA screen appears for 15+ seconds with a brief flash of a terminal window or two, a tiny bit of HD activity, then the recovery manager window starts, but is blank but for the Cancel X on the upper right and the little icon on the upper left.  Nothing else keeps happening.  However, the cancel button works: "Do you want to quit Recovery Manager and reboot?".  etc.

Lastly, DavidSMP, The instructions are not really clear, there is some question as the first item on the included page of Frequently Asked Questions says,  "If the recovery media doesn't automatically start, restart the computer and ...press9 to select the boot option.  Use the down arrow to select the UEFI DVD/USB source."   DavidSMP:  There IS NO UEFI DVD/USB source listed!!

So that's it.  Please be sure you have read all my posts above, DavidSMP, and I thank you for your attention.   Let's work it out, OK?

holmziep.

HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 19 (344 Views)

Hi @holmziep,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.” 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 6 of 19 (341 Views)

DavidSMP: I appreciate the attention!  I would be please to do my part to work toward a conclusion. I AM a tech, after all.

Regards,

holmziep

Dean
Message 7 of 19 (290 Views)

> The recovery media doesn't seem to work.

> I successfully booted to USB, and the win7 recovery progress bar appeared,

> but stopped at the point where a blue recovery screen appears, but it is blank

Please read:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/hp-pavilion-a6742p-cannot-install-Windows-7-Ultimate-from/m-p/6076170#M139479

which describes how to copy the bootable USB memory-stick onto a bootable DVD-recordable disk.

Then, boot from the DVD media.

Tutor
Message 8 of 19 (279 Views)

Tks, mdklassen.

Appreciate ur reply,  and the link.  I was thinking something similar.  Unfortunately I get a "page Not found" message from HP's server when I try to go there. 

I do now realize I have received a private message from HP Executive Customer Relations as my little problem was elevated, and now I realize it arrived 7 days ago.  I didn't know what to look for...

I am learning proper etiquette on the forum, and sort of knew I shouldn't start a new thread on same subject, and won't do that again.

If you don't mind, mdklassen, I will see what bubbles up from the private message from "above" , as I have replied with all requested Info.  Your option seems simple enough, and I may be back in touch.  My confidence is raised.  I will post my progress.

Thanks,

holmziep.

Dean
Message 9 of 19 (273 Views)

[ Edited ]

> I get a "page not found" when I try to go there.

Unfortunately, the correct(!) URL that I posted got "split" into two pieces.

So, clicking on "half" of the URL does give that error-message.

Try again:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/hp-pavilion-a6742p-cannot-insta...

or .........

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/

hp-pavilion-a6742p-cannot-install-Windows-7-Ultimate-from/

m-p/6076170#M139479

If necessary, "copy-and-paste" the above 3 lines into Windows "Notepad", and "join" the pieces into one long URL.

Then, copy-and-paste the URL into your web-browser.

Tutor
Message 10 of 19 (257 Views)

I appreciate your quick reply, and I did get the link to open, no trouble.  Ah, but this is where the plot thickens:  This USB stick I was sent by HP is NOT an .ISO    It is  in fact, HP's fancy recovery media.  I just got the wrong one or something.  Here is an excerpt from another post with a link to it.

"Sorry, but there is nowhere you can download the HP OEM version of Windows 7.

"HP does not provide an ISO, and the only thing they do provide is something known as HP Recovery Media.

"This is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Download-Windows-7-ISO/td-p/578...

What I paid $ 50.00+  for is recovery media that will restore my licensed copy of Win7 (I have the Key) and ALL the original software and drivers for this particular machine.  With JUST a Win7 .ISO I get Win7.  Sure I can go to HP and struggle to get any missing drivers and software ... that we purchased already.  I did a Belarc Advisor profile and all the keys plus the Win7 Key sticker on the box.  

This should be so simple.

Now, MDKlassen, If I had no other choice, and I could extract and create an .ISO, and further, find a means to install all the original software and drivers, ALL that are on this USB stick, I would do it.  I don't have a windows machine, but I can do it with this (now) Linux box.  I don't have expertise in UEFI, and if or not it plays a role in this inability to run the Recovery Manager.  Not only that, but this machine does not have any UEFI selections on the F9 boot menu.  You can change the boot order any way you want, but no UEFI selection will be available.  Huh?

I would go out on a limb, and offer to list the names of some of the files on the USB media so someone could make some sense of all this.

You are very kind to offer your assistance, and I look forward to any additional suggestions or comments you may have!

holmziep 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation