Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarrySchwarcz
Level 3
85 61 1 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery media $60. Seems like a total rip off!

HP ENVY TE01-0077C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I just got my new HP Envy TE01-0077C that I bought from Costco. As usual, the first thing I do is make sure I have the recovery media. In the past it's always been a reasonable price (maybe $15 - $25) and was either a DVD or a USB thumb drive.

I check the HP site and they are now charging $60 plus tax and shipping! Are they out of their minds? $60 for a thumb drive with the same image that they used to image my disk. 

I suppose if I had no backup or media recovery that I made myself I may buy one but still be pissed at HP for charging so much for so little. 

Since when has HP been so user unfriendly? I was a software engineer there for about 18 years and never saw that type of attitude towards the customers. 

I'll just make my own but if anyone has any insight into why HP is now charging 3 to 4 times the value of this I would be interested in reading about it. Obviously, the price has nothing to do with the cost of manufacture. But, this seems usurious to me.

Thanks!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
80,592 80,486 10,020 21,581
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LarrySchwarcz 

Come on, we also have to pay people to do that even with robots. They need to

(a) Sort out the order,

(b) Burn or copy software to DVD/USB,

(c) Put to a bag.

(d) Send to somewhere.

Anyway, after a long wait HP now has Cloud Recovery tool

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

We can use any time.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
LarrySchwarcz
Level 3
85 61 1 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Yes, there are costs involved with the creation and distribution of the recovery media. But no where near an amount to justify $60. 

I doubt HP makes the recovery media on-demand. They have a supply of them already made and wait for potential customers to order. It's much cheaper to make them in one big batch. And, the whole process to make this is almost certainly automated. 

So the costs to HP are the initial manufacturing (very cheap), storing them until needed, and then order fulfillment. Still nowhere near a cost that could justify their asking price. 

But, the cloud recovery is an interesting option! Personally I still like having my own physical protection where I don't have to depend on an internet connection.

But, HP did thoughtfully provide the step-by-step directions to make your own recovery media and also how to use it.

HP PCs - Creating and Using a Microsoft Recovery USB Drive (Windows 10)

I just got my new PC today. Tomorrow I'll fire it up and first thing make my recover media (OK, maybe after I've removed all of the bloatware) and then store it with the recovery directions and hope that I'll never need it!

Thanks for your fast reply!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation