Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8200 Elite XL508AV
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I plugged a USB 3.0 express card into the wrong socket on motherboard. Now runs very slowly. Seems to have screwed up the video. I think I need to replace motherboard. How do I find correct one. I tried the ctrl+alt+s, no results.

Tried to run system health report but got error. Timed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's running ok I guess, but still slow. Takes 14 min to boot. Fixed the freezing problem. Useable now.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

From: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02781555#N10013

your computer has 1 DisplayPort video port and 1 VGA video port.

This implies that you have "onboard" video.

Can you try an "add-in" PCI-E video card, in one of the PCI-E x16 slots:

• 3 full-height PCI
• 1 full-height PCIe x1
2 full-height PCIe x16

First, try the PCI-E slot that wa NOT used to connect that USB card.

This will disable the "onboard" video, and may bypass your problem, at a lower cost than replacing the motherboard.

HP Recommended

It seems to work a little better now. I still get some funny slow downs in some areas. I can live with this.

How do I find out what the info is on the motherboard if I decide to replace it?

HP Recommended

See the manuals: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-8200-elite-microtower-pc/5037940/model/5037942/manual...

to see if they contain the HP part-number.

Then, see:  http://PartSurfer.hp.com

to see if it still can be purchased -- probably for the same price as you paid when you bought the whole computer.

The philosophy is "if you NEED it, and can pay TOP-DOLLAR for it, we have it".

HP Recommended

It's running ok I guess, but still slow. Takes 14 min to boot. Fixed the freezing problem. Useable now.

HP Recommended

Welcome to this forum.

You marked your own reply via "Accept As Answer".  On this forum, that's not what is usually done.

Please "unmark" your reply as the "answer", and then click "Accept As Answer" to the message that helped you the most.

Also, please click the "Thumbs Up" on each posting that helped you.

HP Recommended

not sure what you mean. Could not find link to accept answer.

HP Recommended

> Could not find link to accept answer.

Since you already have clicked "accept answer", that link is no longer available to you.

Click on 'Options', and you'll see the option to "unmark".  Do it.

Then, you will gain the ability to "accept answer" on some other message.

HP Recommended

Could not find any reference to "unmark" in options

HP Recommended

Are you clicking the 'Options' that is associated with your own 'Reply'?

You should see 'Accept as solution', but it is "greyed-out".

What other values are displayed under that "pull-down" ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.