Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 9300 All in One Elite MXL13405XL
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The System Reset did not finish correctly. Now I can't get past the HP Logo with Press Escape for Start Menu.  I got the Restore Media from HP in a USB stick. All the instructions with it are for using DVD disks. I put the USP stick in and started the computer and nothing happens just as before. If I press the Escape Key fast enough, I get a black screen listing the memory slots and what memory is installed plus the bios version and it still says Press Escape for Start Menu. Nothing more happens. I even tried pulling the hard drive and I do not get any error message about no bootable disk.

My grand daughter was using it for school and I would really like to get it fixed for her.  I replaced the CMOS battery hoping taking it out would reset the bios, CMOS or something. But nothing changes.  The power light comes on, the blue screen with HP logo comes up showing thr bios version and Press Escape Key for Start Menu then noth more happen.

Any help greatly appreciated...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Normally hitting ESC will bring up a menu fairly quickly. If it's not, then start by making sure you have NOTHING plugged into usb ports (except kb/mouse) Tapping ESC, F9, F10 or F2 will change the message in the bottom right hand corner. Just leave it until SOMETHING happens. I've had to wait up to 10mins sometimes when there's been an issue.

I would firstly try to go into BIOS (F10) and load setup defaults.

Secondly I would run diags (F2) on the HDD and RAM.

Let us know how you go.

HP Recommended

I tried F10 first. I get a black screen listing the memory slots and what memory is installed plus the bios version and it still says Press Escape for Start Menu and Set Up in the lower right corner.. Nothing more happened after 2 hours.

Next I tried F11. I get a black screen listing the memory slots and what memory is installed plus the bios version and it still says Press Escape for Start Menu and System Restore in the lower right corner.. Nothing more happened after 1 1/2 hours now.

When I try these, the hard drive does run for a while then shuts off again.

Without getting in to the bios settings, I have no idea what to try...

Is there a way to create disks from the USB stick with the restore media on it? If there is, I'll try that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.