Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I got my PC a few years back, it's a Pavilion 580-023w from Walmart. It's not the best, but I've upgraded it and it does exactly what I need it to do. 2-3 Weeks ago, I noticed that every time I would open 3 particular games, both of my screens would go dark for a few moments, my programs pinned to the taskbar would disappear, and then reappear as if I had just booted up my PC, and certain programs would close or stop functioning. The programs that got affected during the first few days of the problem were Discord, Teamspeak 3, Google Chrome and (rarely) the Steam Client. During the first few days of the issue, Discord would close OR stop functioning, causing me to restart the program. Google Chrome would turn completely dark, and you could not even see the "X" in the corner, and Teamspeak 3 would flat out crash. Steam would occasionally do the "Steam.exe is not Responding" thing. But what was weird was that I could still, for example, press the X in the top right corner of Google Chrome. I could not see it, nor any other brick of text, image, tab, etc. on the page, but I could interact with it. Now I don't think that fact has much to do with anything, but I did find that weird. Now this persisted for a few days, but I had thought that I found a fix. Turns out, my Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) was incompatible with one of the recent Windows updates. This caused the Window update to never push through. By using the HP Support Assistant, I was able to update my IRST, which then in turn allowed me to update my windows. After that, the problem was resolved. It must have been fixed for a week, up until this morning. When I booted up my PC this morning, it was fine. No slower than usual, nothing crashing, same as always. I played one match of the MOBA League of Legends, and then a few matches of Overwatch. No issues whatsoever. It wasn't until I opened up Arma 3 that the issue occured. My dual monitor setup turned dark for a few moments, chrome did the dark screen thing, Discord stayed open, and my Teamspeak 3 closed. (Now all of that might sound like a lot for my PC to handle at once, but it hasn't ever affected my PC. I have an Intel i7 44k 4.2ghz CPU and an SSD which most of my apps run on.) I have tried a multitude of fixes, but no dice. I've restarted my computer, spent hours researching the issue on google, (which apparently no one has had the same issue as me) and I've even sat and waited for Windows support to try and help, but all of the suggestions did not fix the issue. So here I am, hoping that someone might see this and be able to help me fix the issue.

My PC's specs that I know off the top of my head:
Intel i7 4.2ghz quad core processor
Nvidia 1060 3gb vram GPU
Two 8gb sticks of Memory
And a Sandisk 980gb Solid State Drive
500w Power Supply

Other than that, nothing has been changed inside the PC.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AydenP
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Performing Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg .
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope, these did not work. Updated and nothing. Also, I recently ran a BIOS update to fix an issue with my internal network adapter bottle knecking my Ethernet speeds. Did not fix the issue.

HP Recommended

@AydenP
Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.