Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to setup RAID 1 on an Elitedesk 800 G6 using the PCIE M2 SSD (with Optane) that came with it. I have inserted exactly the same type of SSD (the type that comes with the G6) into the other SSD slot (so both slots are populated) but when I go into the "3rd Party Option ROM Management" RST utility it only lists one of the SSDs so I am unable to create the RAID volume. I have read that Optane needs to be disabled but when I go into the BIOS I am unable to disable Optane without RAID also being disabled. What am I doing wrong? I have no problem if I use M2 SSD's that don't have Optane on them but I want to be able to use the ones that are shipped with the computer. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Your computer is recognizing that the first SSD is not "branded" as being a member of any "set" of RAID devices.  Your computer is recognizing that the second SSD is "not initialized", and therefore is eligible to be configured to become a member of a "set".

Consider using the free Macrium Reflect software.

1. Download and install it.
  2. Use its "update" function to get the latest update.
  3. Create a "recovery media" -- either burning onto one CD-R, or writing onto an "empty" USB memory-stick.
  4. Shutdown your computer.
  5. Connect an external disk-drive, with enough free-space to hold your entire "C:" disk-drive's contents.
  6. Boot from the recovery media, not your "C:" disk-drive.
  7. Do a "clone" operation, from your "C:" disk-drive onto the external disk-drive.
  8. Shutdown & reboot from the "C:" disk-drive.
  9. Belt-and-suspenders: check that the files on the external disk-drive have been written correctly.
  10. Shutdown.
  11. Boot from the recovery-media.
  12. Delete the entire volume that holds the "C:" partition, to reset the volume to "not initialized".
  13. Shutdown.
  14. Reboot, and enter BIOS setup.
  15. Create a RAID-1 set by specifying the 2 volumes that are now available.
  16. Reboot from the recovery-media.
  17. Do a "restore" from the external disk-drive to the "set".
  18. Shutdown.
  19. Remove the recovery-media (CD or USB) and the external disk-drive.
  20. Reboot from the new RAID-set.
  21. After a few minutes, if Windows seems to be "frozen", hold-down the power-button until the computer powers-off. Power-on the computer. This time, Windows should start normally.

I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.