Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp slimline desktop - 290-p0056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, trying to upgrade my memory on my pc, computer works fine when I install just one dimm in slot 0, but when I install the other in slot 1, I get the dreaded 3-2 beep on start up.

Checked bios for any settings for the memory and didnt see any, so thought i would try just one dimm in slot 1 and got the dreaded 3-2 beep. Bios is up to date and the right memory, could this be a problem with the motherboard itself?

Thanks Stephen

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SA68 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06001408

It Supports up to 8 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers, and it says: Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs that means you can use 2 x 4GB or 1 x  8GB

How much RAM do you put on your computer ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

A 3-2 BIOS error POST code is a memory problem.

It is best to install memory using compatible sticks of memory.

I would guess you have purchased incompatible memory.

Try the new memory module in slot one. A BIOS error code means the new memory is not compatible.

The HP factory memory should work when installed in slot one.

Or, look, maybe either memory module is not installed correctly if the HP memory module does not work.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well it shows that the max memory  is up to 32 , the computer came with 8 and i was trying to add 8 to the second dimm slot. I did borrowed a 16 from a friend and it works fine if in slot 0, but if I add another stick to slot 1 then i get the 3-2 beeps, if I add one stick in slot 1 it gives the 3-2 beep.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The memory upgrade specs at your PC's HP Support site are misleading. You may have to contact HP Support about this.

The specs are as follows:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-21300 (DDR4 2666)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 8 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    NOTE: 
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

It appears a 16 GB memory module should not work when installed in this motherboard. HP is also indicating the maximum memory on a 64 bit operating system is 8 GB. My calculation would be two 8 GB modules totaling a maximum of 16 GB.

Regards
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.