Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Simplesave 1.0.2.383
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please help. I have 3 old back up folders on Simplesave. All were created with different windows computers that I no longer have. I can access 2 of the folders. The 3rd says access denied. I am able to see that the files within the backup folder are still there- they are listed, but I can't open them. I am going in as Administrator. But permission still denied. Is there a way to retrieve the files? I tried to copy the entire folder but that failed for same reason. What are the options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ckelly1

The software is not supported in Windows 10.

Try connecting the SimpleSave drive to a Windows 7 computer.

Hopefully you will be able to access the data to the extent that you can perhaps copy (recover) the data out of the folder.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ckelly1

The software is not supported in Windows 10.

Try connecting the SimpleSave drive to a Windows 7 computer.

Hopefully you will be able to access the data to the extent that you can perhaps copy (recover) the data out of the folder.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! I was able to access all back up folders upon opening Simplesave on a Win 7 system. This begs the question... Where do we save large important but ancient files? Aside from cloud, what is the best storage that is immune from these issues? The whole idea of Simplesave was that we wouldn't need to worry about future unsupported issues. That's why I chose an HP device in the first place. Now what? Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

@ckelly1

You are welcome.

The following has been typed "on the fly" - always a bad idea -- forgive any errors.

HP is not the only company to have sold (and may yet sell) a Software / Hardware combination system used to back up data.  Great idea until the software is not able to be used in an ever changing Operating System (File System) environment.

The only reason I know anything about SimpleSave is that I purchased two of them several years ago.  Although I looked at the software, read the user manual, and studied the methodology, I ended up using the disk drive as a backup location without using the SimpleSave software to put the data on the disk.  About three - four years later, the disk failed on one unit and (I think) the power supply failed on the other one.  Oh, well.  By then I had copied 90% or more of the data to an alternate location.  I was prepared to lose the last of the data not moved / copied elsewhere (and, in fact, did lose it).

Consider that the hardware on any system has a limited life span.  Anything stored in one location is not a "backup", it is a recipe for loss.  Back up your critical data to at least two separate locations away from the original location of the data.

Expect the need to manage that data and maybe move it at some point to different hardware / location.

The storage option does not matter as much as staying away from anything that requires proprietary software to access the data after it is backed up.

Use any backup software you like as long as the data ends up in a location and condition that allows you to access that data without using the backup software.

Expect that regardless of which backup software / method that you use, that the actual data must be protected against disk aging (failure of the hardware), and accessibility (where the data is located in terms of your ability to control / access the file system). 

Your data storage methodology should be considered, updated, possibly replaced, at least every three years.  If the data is critical to your business / personal needs, consider a yearly check for the need to update, move, copy the data to an alternate location.  Have data OCD?  Check every six months...

NAS (Network Attached Storage)

A NAS server (a bunch of disks tied together to provide storage) provides a simple Operating System and File Structure, including password controls and the ability to manage how the data is accessed (private or shared folders, ownership, permissions).  A NAS does not hold the data in a backup software prison -- you do not need special software to access the data stored on the NAS; once logged in on the NAS, or having the NAS folder(s) "mapped" to the Windows computer, the stored data is in the same condition as when it was in its original location.

Most decent backup software programs can easily back up your data to a Network location on your network.

The point?  Use what you like as long as the data is accessible without the backup program that was used to copy it to the backup destination.

Starting in Windows 8, the Windows File History backup program can be used to back up and then later recover data stored in your Windows computer.  

File History can back up data to a USB drive, a network location, or another internal disk in your computer (not great but better than nothing).  

While the File History software is used to back up the data, once the folders and files are copied to the destination (for example, a folder on a NAS), the data is in essentially the same condition as when it was on the Windows computer.  While File History can be used to recover files / folders, it is not necessary to use File History to see, copy, access, manipulate the folders and files. 

Have backup OCD? 

Methodology Example

Save your Data:

• Keep the data in your OneDrive folders. 
  • Select the OneDrive option to keep local copies of the critical files / folders. 
  • Add those OneDrive folders to your Libraries,
  • Use File History to back up the local files to a remote location (NAS, USB Drive, alternate disk).

Result: 

• Original file / folder "kept local" on computer in One Drive folder(s)
  • One copy of the file / folder in One Drive account in Cloud
  • One copy of the file / folder in your backup destination (NAS, USB Drive, local disk...)

Not enough?

• Use other backup software to back up data to an extra disk in the computer (not C drive).
  • Use other backup software to back up data to the NAS that includes the OneDrive and other folders not already included in File History

Not enough?

• Important files occasionally emailed to one of several email accounts

It is a big subject and not one easily discussed or explained in a few words.

Use your favorite search engine to find information on data storage options.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Wow. Incredible sage comments and advise. Found myself nodding in agreement with every sentence of your thoughtful reply. So practical and simple yet I hadn't revisited the prospect of losing data since.. well, since the last time I lost data! First was a million years ago using DOS writing a college thesis and not using CTRL S. Then floppies went obsolete. Then a ZIP drive- also antiquated, then writable CD's, then a bunch of unorganized memory sticks, and so on. Funny how once you use the next best thing you tend to get lulled back into a sense of security not noticing 10 years have passed you by along with any back-up software that would work on a current computer.

Thank you again! You ought to have a monthly column or radio show. You are able to identify the problem and concisely and simply restate the issue, explain it, and offer sound advise and solution options. 

Worth repeating is this important comment by Dragon-Fur:

"...Consider that the hardware on any system has a limited life span.  Anything stored in one location is not a "backup", it is a recipe for loss.  Back up your critical data to at least two separate locations away from the original location of the data.

Expect the need to manage that data and maybe move it at some point to different hardware / location.

The storage option does not matter as much as staying away from anything that requires proprietary software to access the data after it is backed up..."

HP Recommended

@ckelly1

Thank you for you kind comments.

Retired IT -- we have backups in our blood.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.