Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
260-p037cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This was my wife's computer, she passed away last year.  I want to 'wipe everything off' and reinstall WIN 10 so I can give to my son-in-law.  I do not have any of the activation code that was used in the original setup.  Any help appreciated, simpler the better.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JohnStep , welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your loss.  I send my sincere condolences!

You can use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You will have to download the Tool to a USB thumb drive using another computer.  Then, insert the thumb drive into one of the USB ports on the computer and boot to the thumb drive.  You can read the instructions at the bottom of the page in my link for further instructions.

This Tool will wipe the drive clean and do a clean install of Windows.  If you have a Product Key you can enter it when asked or say you don't have one and enter it later.  There is a section in the installation process to allow you to choose the version of Win 10 that you want to use.

If you have further questions, please let me know.  I am here every day at some point.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

this has 2 answers not 1,

if  ARE  worried about others gaining access to old data, we  run  a real erase program. seen here(for sure selling PC or HDD)

if not worried that?

then we use w10 installer and at the fake explorer step, (lame) we delete all boot  partitions, the HP recovery many not be good now. nor HP tools part. but you can delete all  partitions  if you want now. I would. (I like clean and zero bloat)

then click next and W10 installer does it all just one click..  there are endless w10 install help pages googled.

delete first the next. just 2 simple steps, w10 install. (step 7)

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.