Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-1414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Envy h8-1414 desktop that is more than 6 1/2 years old. I want to purchase a new HP desktop and transfer the contents of my current hard drive (which is beginning to glitch from time to time) to the hard drive of the new machine. How can I go about doing that.  My level of expertise is not high.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@gagowen 

You are NOT going to be able to transfer the ENTIRE contents of the drive because some of that includes OS system files and hidden files, and those are NOT transferable.  Also, some of the drive's files will be device drivers and those also are NOT transferable.

In addition, you won't be able to transfer the applications that you installed on the drive.  Those have different pieces installed all over the drive and you can not simply migrate an application from one PC to another by copying files.

So what's left? Two things -- settings and personal data.

As to the settings, there is an app known as CloneApp, which is available for free, that you can use to save settings and transfer them to another PC.

As to the personal data, the best approach there would be to insert a large capacity USB stick into your current PC and copy the files and folders you want to save to it using File Manager.  Then, when you get the new PC, you can copy the same stuff to that drive using the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@gagowen 

You are NOT going to be able to transfer the ENTIRE contents of the drive because some of that includes OS system files and hidden files, and those are NOT transferable.  Also, some of the drive's files will be device drivers and those also are NOT transferable.

In addition, you won't be able to transfer the applications that you installed on the drive.  Those have different pieces installed all over the drive and you can not simply migrate an application from one PC to another by copying files.

So what's left? Two things -- settings and personal data.

As to the settings, there is an app known as CloneApp, which is available for free, that you can use to save settings and transfer them to another PC.

As to the personal data, the best approach there would be to insert a large capacity USB stick into your current PC and copy the files and folders you want to save to it using File Manager.  Then, when you get the new PC, you can copy the same stuff to that drive using the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your clear and comprehensive response. Helps to have such an explanation from someone who knows what they're talking about.  My PC is acting up again this morning so I'll have to buckle down and get started on procuring a new machine.  My aim is to use the technique you outlined, using a USB drive to transfer files. Need to avoid a method that requires setting up a second monitor, which a direct transfer cable would seem to demand.  Will also look into CloneApp.  Does this program allow one also to save one's settings to a USB drive for transfer?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.