Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
BN515AV-ABA HPE-180t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP 180t came with Windows 7 and was upgraded to W10 in the Microsoft free-upgrade program. Shortly thereafter, during a routine start-up, I experienced a split-second power failure that shut the computer down; at restart I received an error message indicating "System Fan Failure, F2 to continue". The fan is OK and was not damaged in the power failure.Subsequently with any power-up, F2 is required to be activated before windows will load. I did all possible without results and I believe the BIOS is the problem. By the way, the HP instruction to rectify the problem does not work because it says to activate F10 at start-up, followed by Advanced, then Hardware Monitor, and then activate the proper button to restore normal fan operation; that does not work in W10 as no such option (Hardware Monitor) exists. I believe that the posssible fix is to reinstall the operating BIOS and I downloaded the same from HP and I do not know how to UNBLOCK them.

The original BIOS are American Megatrends 5.27 03/05/2010; The BIOS I downloaded from HP is labeled 5.29 and that is the one that is BLOCKED from being opened and installed. Will certainly appreciate someone reviewing the explanation of the failure and subject defect in the operating system and what I should do to restore the fan to normal automatic functioning. Obviously the intermittent fan problem at start-up is not a major problem but it is inconvenient and wasteful of computer processing time as I use this machine and 4 others in support of BOINC managed distributed computing continuously and any restart at night means the computer will not return to operation until I realize the situation and activate F2 to continue. appreciative: BET

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

> is the one that is BLOCKED from being opened and installed.

> Will certainly appreciate someone reviewing the explanation of the failure ...

What is the exact text of the error-message?  Seeing it will help us to understand.

HP Recommended

> I believe the BIOS is the problem.

> By the way, the HP instruction to rectify the problem does not work because it says to activate F10 at start-up, followed by Advanced, then Hardware Monitor, and then activate the proper button to restore normal fan operation;

> that does not work in W10 as no such option (Hardware Monitor) exists.

Got a spare disk-drive, and the original Windows 7 software.

Disconnect the computer from the Internet.

Disconnect the current disk-drive, and connect that "spare".

Install Windows 7.

Since there is no Internet connection, Windows Update cannot run, and consume resources while it is running.

Also, "activation" of that copy of Windows cannot succeed, but you have 30 days to use Windows.

Then, follow the HP instructions.

HP Recommended

> "System Fan Failure, F2 to continue". The fan is OK ...

Does your computer have a "chassis fan", usually mounted on the back-plane of the computer, in addition to the "system fan", mounted on top of the CPU?  If so, are both fans OK?

HP Recommended

I am impressed beyond measure with your response and I appreciate your interest in helping.  I will answer your questions and provide additional info:

The exact error message: "System Fan has failed. Service PC to prevent damage to the system. Press F2 to continue."

By the way, even though operating normally , I replaced the cpu fan just the same and monitored the cpus temps through various ambient temperatures and loadings, just as with the previous fan. 

The chassis fan is present and operates normally throughout.

BIOS: The blocked BIOS I refer to is the one I downloaded from Hewlett Packard and it sits in my download file in my HP 180t with red-bordered identification and that it requires Administrator action to activate. What I do not understand is why HP would make the BIOS (5.29) available and then block the same from being opened and installed.

Naturally, one of the first things I did was restore the computer to original factory settings and since it came with Windows 7 the OS reverted to W7 after restore; BUT, and I suppose naturally, if I am correct that BIOS is the problem then restoring alone would not correct the BIOS error: I am not sure of the accuracy of that last  statement."

FOLLOWUP:

This is an addendum to the message immediately above that was posted yesterday but somehow ended out of view under the title Reply  > Post Message: Again I appreciate professor your suggestion but I am not going to go the external hard-drive route. I am concerned that process might create to many problems for the 85.5 year old brain inside this same-aged body. And of course after going through the processes of Recovery, Factory Image Restore and all of the HP directed other troubleshooting efforts and some of the difficulties encountered I about out of energy and probably will drop off the HP 180t at Discount Electronics and can probably resolve the problem in shortorder. Thanks again and I am deeply appreciative. BET  of Austin, Texas

HP Recommended

> ... sits in my download file in my HP 180t with red-bordered identification and that it requires Administrator action to activate. What I do not understand is why HP would make the BIOS (5.29) available and then block the same from being opened and installed.

Windows allows multiple accounts to login to the computer.

Some accounts have "administrative" privileges, while some accounts have "standard user" privileges.

Updating the BIOS requires permission from one of fhose "administrative" accounts -- any account with only "standard user" privileges will be "blocked".

Are you saying that when you actually try to update the BIOS, it prompts you for "administrative privileges" ?

HP Recommended

>Are you saying that when you actually try to update the BIOS, it prompts you for "administrative privileges?

When I try to open or take any other action that would involve opening or testing compability of the downloaded 5.29 I receive the following red bordered caution window:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

This APPhas been blocked for your protection

An administrator has blocked you from running this app.

For more info contact the administrator.

sp49903

Publisher: Unknown

File Origin: hard drive this computer.

And this highlighted link at the bottom:

SHOW INFO ABOUT PUBLISHERS CERTIFICATE (When I click this link, NOTHING happens.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the accounts section I am listed as Administrator and the matter is not password protected.

comment: As I indicated earlier I am not sure now that I even want to try installing this new BIOS as info in the troubleshooting section cautions quite seriously that installing the wrong software can be disabling.

HP Recommended

I agree with your concerns about having a BIOS update "fail", resulting in a "bricked" computer.

> When I try to open or take any other action that would involve opening or testing compability of the downloaded 5.29

Are you right-mouse-button-clicking on the update, and choosing "Run As Administrator" ?

HP Recommended

>Are you right-mouse-button-clicking on the update, and choosing "Run As Administrator" ?<

Absolutely and I received the red bordered alert as indicated above. I think I am about ready to call my oldest great-granddaughter who just turned 10 and have her come over and solve the problem in a nanosecond.

Professor, you deserve more that great kudos in your efforts to help me solve the problem; and again, I am most appreciative. BET

HP Recommended

A further update to the problem with my HP180t i7 930 machine which has served me admirably for over SIX years and contributed thousands of hours of processing to scientific studies associated with projects throughout the world through the BOINC system (as we all know that means Berkeley Open Infrastructure For Network Computing). 

I took my machine to a commercial technician who ran a complete diagnostic and apparently came to the same conclusion as myself and  one or more of you: BIOS. Again thanks to Professor!!!!!

The attempt to upgrade, update and/or reinstall the BIOS failed as they were unable to access the BLOCKED whatever it is called. Though unrelated to the BIOS fault, while examining the CPU and its Heat Sink and cooling fan, they found a paucity of Heatsink Compound so while in there I had them to install an upgraded cooling system and now I have observed a substantial drop in operating temperatures over the four/eight core CPU. I am still very irritated that HP has seen fit to block the repair of its own BIOS and apparently have likewise done the same to other than their own technicians.

This is my final posting and I am closing this problem as unsolved due to design planning.

BET: Austin, Texas

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.