Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-215xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The computer name "HP ENVY 700215xt CTO Desktop PC" and below that the words

"Current Location: United States  Update" (where Update is a link that takes me to Windows location settings)

are firmly emblazened in the lower right corner of my Windows monitor.  I do not know how they

got there, but I cannot get rid of them.  they are also not on the "desktop" per se... they are ALWAYS present regardless of the

application I am using, such as this full-page browser.  Those words are displayed as the top-most layer in the "Z axis" if you know what I mean.  Always present, with the word "update" always clickable.  How did this text get there, and more importantly how can I get rid of it?     Attached is a snapshot of this post, before I post it, with the text I'm talking about.Snap3.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-200-desktop-pc-series/5399651/model/6667346

What loads at startup?

Ctrl + Alt +Del     Task Manager

and scroll thru the apps and see if anything unwanted is spotted.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the startup tip.

Nothing unusual in startup items, or other auto / manual services.  I tried stopping a couple 'desktop windows management' services, but that wasn't it.   I'm sure there is a term for the text I'm seeing, but I don't know what terminology to use to search the web.  All I can find is info on BGINFO to actually display machine information on the desktop / wallpaper.  But this is not what I'm experiencing.  I want to get rid of unwanted text.

HP Recommended

Hi

So you are convinced that it is a PC problem, and not the Monitor displaying it's connection info etc.

HP Recommended

Correct.  I suspect a PC problem or HP configuration of Windows problem because one of the lines in the 2-line display says "location" with an active link to the Windows control panel that controls the location of the unit. 

If it was JUST the name of the computer (ENVY, etc.) then I would suspect a BIOS setting because this is a specific  machine.  However BIOS would not know that it should display, on the monitor, a link to the Windows Location Update control panel.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.