Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
8300 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The HP Support Assistant indicated that there was a ROM Firmware update for my HP Elite 8300 SFF computer (out of warranty) so I followed the steps to download and install the update.  After several attempts where the package was downloaded but installation somehow stalled, I tried again another three times.  Each one failed and the reminder has disappeared from the Support Assistant.  I did indicate at the end dialog box which asked me to indicate whether installation had succeeded, failed or unsure that the installation had failed.

My BIOS is still showing up as HP K01 v 02.90, 16 July 2013.  I found a note on the labyrinthine support site that indicated the v 03.xx would not update unless the BIOS was 'flashed' to v.02.99 first.

How this is accomplished is a mystery to me and I'd appreciate any help in updating the BIOS before updating to Windows 10.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Yes, that statement is correct.  Here is the wording from the v02.99 Rev.A  update

Fix and enhancements:
- Customers MUST flash this BIOS first, before flashing to the v03.xx versions.
- Added enhancement to allow for flashing forward to v03.xx.
Here is the v02.99 Rev.A update 

Run that first and then the  03.03 Rev.A 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying, Old Man, but I am no further advanced.

I clicked on the link your provided to run the update to 'flash the BIOS (?)' and update it to v. 02.99. Result: clicked Next on the succession of dialog boxes including the 'Yes to all' button to overwrite the files (apparently) already on my system.  Internet Explorer 11 then opened this URL: C:\SWSETUP\SP73099\Bios Flash.htm.  What I was expected to do with this information I do not know.  About all I did note was the prescription to update to v.02.99 before trying to update to v.03.xx.  Then a new dialog box came up telling me that the installation had failed and I was invited to press another button to try again with the right settings (?).  I pressed this and nothing appeared to happen.  After waiting for several minutes I ran msinfo32 and found the BIOS remains unchanged.

Can someone please advise me how I might fix this (to me) intractable problem.  If you tell me what logs or screenshots you'd like me to post, I'll try oblige>

HP Recommended

I looked at the first download in my post.  When I clicked on it to run sp73099.exe, a dialogue asked about running the exe.  Since I use Firefox instead of Internet explorer, my screens will be different.  Take a screenshot of the URL: C:\SWSETUP\SP73099\Bios Flash.htm. and post it here.  Then we can determine what to do/choose with that screen.

Since this PC is a business class machine, the BIOS updates run somewhat differently than the consumer grade PC's.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks again for the sage advice.  Unfortunately, I'm viewing this on my laptop (Apple MacBook Pro) and will have to get back to you when I get back to my HP machine and can take the necessary screenshots.

All the best in the meantime.

HP Recommended

I'm now back on my desktop and have taken the screenshot I believe to be the one you requested but cannot divine how I am to post it on this site.  Call me thick if you like, but it is not obvious to me at all.  I have to acknowledge that, for a long time now, what some computer literate people describe as being 'intuitive' are anything but to me. 

Could you kindly advise how I should go about posting the screenshot, preferably with detailed, step-by-step instructions, please?  I apologise for being obtuse but I don't believe that I can help it.

All the best.

HP Recommended

I'll try to give a good directions for posting the screenshot.

In order to post the screenshot, open the dialogue box the same as you would while making a post with text.  In fact mixing text and screenshots would be expected.  Along the area just above the open text area, there are various symbols, starting with the "BOLD" "B", then the "I" etc.  further to the right will be the icon that resembles a camera.  If you hover the mouse on that icon, it will say "Insert Photo".  Click on that camera icon and another box will open asking for the photo that is desired to be used.  There are things at the top right asking for the photos, or you can click on the "Choose Files" box in the center of the screen.  Another box will open asking for the location of the files that you wish to include.  Assuming you know the location of where the screenshot is stored or even a mobile phone's storage of photos will work as long as the phone is connected to the computer.  Pick the images that you wish to be contained in the post while in that box.  More than one can be included. Then click on the "Open" button and the images will become shown in the box. There is a choice for for the image size after they are selected.  Do not make them too small.

I understand how "If you do not know how to do it" then the directions given may be not be clear.  Hopefully I am clear enough that the task can be accomplished.  Hoping to hear back.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Screenshot as requestedScreenshot as requested

Many thanks for the help.  Your explanation was clear and appears to have worked.  I think this is the screenshot you requested.

When this appeared during my updating attempts, I had no idea what I was supposed to do next.  As far as I was concerned this was not prescriptive as to my next action but a series of articles on various aspects updating the BIOS.  I expected a dialogue box with 'buttons' that would move the process to the next stage.  I did try having a look at a couple of the topics but was left more confused than before I'd started.  The only one that made any sense was the last on the list which is pretty much where I started in that it advised that I could not update directly from v 02.90 but had to update to v 02.99 first.

I also have screenshots of what appeared after this in my update attempts.  I got as far as a dialogue box that indicated the update may not have installed properly and invited me to and invited me to select 'Reinstall using recommended settings'.  This appeared to have no effect at all.   The dialogue disappeared but I could not discern what (if anything) happened.

I hope that it will help you to provide me guidance about how I should now proceed.  Until I can upgrade the BIOS, I fear I may have even more problems when I try to update the OS to Windows 10 from Win 7 Pro which I must inevitably do.

All the best.

HP Recommended

I tried the sp73099.exe again.  Before the screen you posted came up, it asked me to approve the first step which was unpacking the exe and it then wrote some files to C: drive.  It asked that if you accept the terms and after clicking yes, it then asked about writing files to a folder c:\swsetup\SP73099.  If you got to the screenshot posted, that means there should be a folder c:\swsetup\SP73099.  See if that folder is there.  If you cannot find it, then go thru those steps again by clicking on the sp73099.exe link in my post.  When it asks the question on where to write those files, click on "browse" and then make a spot where you can then find the location.  When that is completed, there should be various folders and files in that location.  One of those files is a "How to Use" txt which reads

HOW TO USE:

This SoftPaq contains utilities that can be used to restore or update the System BIOS on HP business desktop models.

Several methods for changing the BIOS version on your computer may be chosen.
Included are the various ways to perform the update. Each folder provided has self-contained files to perform the BIOS update and any unwanted folders may
be deleted.

Utilities and appropriate BIOS images are contained in each of the directories as
follows:

DOS Flash - A DOS utility that can be used locally or with a Preboot eXecution
Environment (PXE) management application to update or restore the System BIOS.

HPQFlash - A utility to locally update or restore the System BIOS on individual PCs
in the Microsoft Windows operating system.

NOTE: The Business Desktops BIOS Utilities SoftPaq is also available on the web.
It contains additional utilities to support Hewlett-Packard Company products. The
BIOS Utilities SoftPaq will be shown when searching for software support of products
in the category BIOS and Firmware.

Copyright (c) 2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered trademarks
of their respective companies.

Did you get that far?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you again for your patience and perseverance on this topic.

I followed your description and did, indeed, find swsetup\SP73099 as you described and the 'How to use .txt' file.  I have got that far, thanks to your guidance.

I now assume that there is something in this folder that will update the BIOS but note that the .txt file refers to a Softpaq for business machines.  I'm daunted by the prospect of searching for this on the HP Support website.  The reason I resorted to the community forum is because I quickly became lost, bamboozled and disheartened trying to find a solution to my problem.  I hope that I can impose on your patience and good grace to guide me further?

All the best 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.